20 Where I Need To Be

Ten minutes into my shift I've completely forgotten about my frustration. One of the parties is twice the size it was supposed to be, leaving me and Becca running constantly and Jack and Anne to take care of everything else.

Thankfully they're well behaved and respectful, just here to celebrate a birthday which equals endless food and drinks. They are the last to leave but the tip is well worth it. Without question, we split it with the kitchen and bar staff.

"Have I ever told you that you're a godsend?" Anne mumbles as she saunters over with a tray of drinks.

"What about me?" Becca asks, grinning and batting her lashes.

Anne scoffs and sets a drink in front of her. She locks her green gaze on the brat and gives her a pointed look with a smirk. "You? You age me." 

Becca's face falls, earning laughs from Jack, Tony and Taz. I bite my lip to keep from joining in but it's a losing battle. Even Becca can't deny it, in fact, she lives to push buttons, Anne's and Tony's in particular!

"And I love every new grey hair you give me, baby girl," Tony soothes, cupping her cheek. Becca rolls her eyes but can't stop the smile that he coaxes out of her. The way he reads her and responds to her ever-flexing moods leaves me grinning.

"So the new staff?" Taz prods, shifting the conversation. "I think they need to be brought on full time now, we're going to burn out at this rate."

Anne sighs as she looks around her weary staff. For a weeknight the club was packed from the moment it opened to the moment she finally kicked the last party out. They've already had them on for Friday to Monday, trying to prepare but there is a lot to learn with the club and protocol alone, not to mention the job.

"Agreed." Even for her seemingly endless energy, Anne looks tired. She's always the first one to pitch in when anyone needs help, making her like no other boss I've ever had.

"If you need me, don't hesitate to call," I offer, not liking to see how bone-weary they all look. "If Jonathan doesn't need me I'm sure he won't mind me helping."

"I'm not so sure about that," Jack snorts with a laugh. "Somehow I think he's got other things in mind for you to serve over rowdy guys in the club!"

Laughs break out all around me as my cheeks heat. Becca leans over and raises a challenging brow. "And you think I don't have boundaries," she cackles.

Before long my eyelids are heavy and Tony is leading us out to the parking lot. I smile watching him open the door and tuck his princess in the passenger seat. She's too tired to be anything but easy to handle right now. Not even halfway home she falls asleep.

"You guys were sure busy tonight," Tony murmurs, making small talk.

"Yeah, but it went by smoothly." I smile and nod to Becca.

"You've been good for her." His statement comes out of the blue and catches me completely off guard.

If anything I feel blessed to have Becca in my life. She's helped me see that it's okay to stand up for myself even if I still struggle and there's a big comfort in knowing that she's always there if I need someone to talk to.

"Becca... well she's Becca," he reasons with a soft chuckle. "It's been hard for her to make friends here. She puts on a brave face but... well your friendship means a lot to her. I just thought you should know."

My chest feels heavy hearing this. She always comes off as so confident and outgoing, I would have never thought she could be lonely.

"She means a lot to me too," I admit with the utmost sincerity.

Before long Tony pulls into our long driveway, the house is dark with just a few lights left on. He slips out and opens my door and sees me safely to the door, waiting until I get in before heading out.

I slip off my shoes and scan the empty living room before heading to the kitchen. My note sits on the kitchen table at his spot but the empty dished sit clean in the rack.

Happy that Jonathan at least had a full belly before bed I head upstairs. He's fast asleep in bed with the TV and bedside lamps on.

I pull the blankets up and tuck him in before slipping back into my room to get changed. After removing my makeup and brushing out my hair I pick up one of his t-shirts and slip it on before heading back to his room.

A silly smirk slips on my lips as I think about Becca's words earlier today. Jonathan has the faintest of frowns on his face even in sleep it looks like a pout.

Work kept me so busy that I didn't really have time to think about my frustrations from earlier... but he did. I can't help but wonder what crossed his mind in those quiet hours before he fell asleep.

Was he thinking about me? Was he planning out round two? Or did I push my luck and he planned out a punishment?

My core clenches in anticipation. Aside from medium spankings, Jonathan has never really punished me. Part of me is happy with this, knowing what I do pleases him but... a small but growing part of me wants to know what he's capable of.

Jonathan warned me he could be a hard man when we first met. So far all I've seen is his comforting side, never has anyone made me feel loved and cared for like he has.

I owe everything to him. When we met I was spiralling down, without his safety and persistence lord knows where I would have been. I'd probably be a basket case at my grandma's, struggling to put my life back together.

Once again my eyelids get heavy and I turn off the lights and TV before slipping into bed next to him. Jonathan doesn't even wake up but reacts to my presence, snaking an arm around me and tucking me against his side.

I giggle at his possessive movement and curl up with him. My heart feels lighter than it has in years and I know he's such a big part of that. In this moment I feel like I'm exactly where I need to be... home.

Listening to the steady rhythm of his heartbeat and the constant rise and fall of his breath, I'm helpless to its pull. In record time I sink down into deep, restful sleep.