Chapter 2 - Mom returns

"I'm home!" I called out. A head poked out of a room. "Hey Mew. How was school?" Asked my older sister, Jinx. She had brown hair but always dyed it dark red. I also had brown hair but I preferred to dye it purple. She had green eyes just like me. We inherited most of our looks from our mother who was hardly home.

Because of her job, she was hardly able to come home and don't even ask me what her job is cause she's never told me.

"It was... interesting. Apparently Miss Caine won't be teaching anymore." She walked out her room as I took a seat on the grey couch in the living room.

"And there's gonna be a circus in a place called Kinbronds. Do you know about that?"

"Wait, rewind. Miss Caine won't be teaching? Why not? Is she sick?"

"That's the weird part. No one told us anything. This woman showed up and told us Miss Caine won't be teaching. But do you know where Kinbronds is?" Jinx shrugged. "No. You should ask mom." I rolled my eyes. "Ask her? She's never home. Why would I want to ask her anyway?"

"You shouldn't be mad Mew. You know mom can't be home all the time because of her job. Anyway, I made a new potion today."

I smiled. Jinx and I were witches. Literally.

When we were younger, we went snooping around the house while our mom was gone and we found a bunch of Spell books. We tried it out and boom. We were able to move an object on our first try. But no one knows. Not even our mom.

Jinx always makes these delicious potions from weird things that she's conjured up. Sometimes they have an effect on you and other times they don't. We still need to learn more about our "powers" but for now, we'll have fun with them.

"This ones colour is sage green. I have a feeling it will taste like herbs." She was already making her way back to her room when my phone suddenly rang. I answered it.

"Hello?"

"Hey Mew. What's this I hear about Miss Caine not teaching?"

"Haven where were you? Why weren't you at school today?" I asked completely ignoring her question. "I had to look after my brother. My dad had to leave unexpectedly again. But don't ignore me. What about Miss Caine?"

"I literally have no idea. Oh and you're gonna have to find another seat tomorrow cause a new boy took your seat." She gasped. "A new boy? Is he cute?" I smiled a little. "Totally. He's handsome and he always has this mischievous smirk."

"I ship it." I rolled my eyes. "Shut up. I just met him today."

"And? I ship it. I'll be at school tomorrow so I can see him for myself and we should definitely go to that circus."

"Rayne already told you?" I asked. She seemed pretty hyped up to go. "Yeah. We've never been to one so I say we should. Anyway, talk to you later." She said. "Bye." I hung up.

"Here's the potion. I made sure to put in all the right ingredients." Jinx came out with a glass bottle in her hands. The liquid had some leaves floating in it. "This is gonna be fun." I said as she sat down next to me on the couch.

"Do you think it will have an effect on us? I think-" Jinx was cut off by the sound of the front door opening. "Ah, there are my two beautiful daughters!" My eyes widened. "Mom?"

Jinx quickly hid the bottle under a pillow on the couch. "Yeah, it's me." My mom smiled. Her brown hair had gotten longer. It was now at her waist. Her green eyes sparkled. "How are my daughters doing?"

I was in too much shock to answer. "Um good. We didn't know you would be here." Said Jinx. "I'll be leaving again soon. I just needed to take a break." Mom's gaze was faraway, staring at the light grey wall.

Jinx motioned to the pillow with her head and I shoved the potion in my bag as fast as I could which seemed to bring Mom back to reality. "You just came home from school Mew? Would you like anything to eat?" I shook my head. "I'm gonna go to my room and do homework."

Her gaze shifted to Jinx. "What about you?"

"Oh I already ate. I'm gonna go to my room too." We both got up and I slung my bag over my shoulder as we walked down the hallway. "Where can I hide the spell books?" She whispered. "In your cupboard. She won't look there." I whispered back as she slipped into her room.