Chapter 31 - Talk with Larkin

Larkin and I sat on the very top of the jungle gym with our legs dangling. Now that I was calmer, I noticed the clouds making way and saw stars shining like fairy lights in the sky.

"Do you come here a lot?" He nodded. "Yeah. Just for some alone time. I never brought anyone else here." I smiled. "I feel honoured."

I laid my head against his shoulder, breathing in his cologne. "I'm worried." I admitted. "I don't want anyone to hate me." Larkin kissed my head. "No one will hate you."

"They will. Everyone thinks I'm a light witch, what will happen when they find out I'm a dark witch?"

"Don't worry okay? You'll be fine Mew, I promise." We sat in silence underneath the stars. I wondered if Haven knew she was a dark fairy. I'd have to talk to her in the morning. Knowing her, she wouldn't even be bothered.

She'd probably go around screaming about the fact that she was a dark fairy. "Wait, so do dark witches have different powers than light witches?"

Larkin nodded. "Yeah. Both can make potions and do spells. The only ones I know of are that dark witches can control the weather, have telekinesis and communicate with the dead."

"Communicate with the dead? What do you mean?" I asked suddenly curious.

"They can do this ritual that can summon the dead. I don't know what for." I thought back to that lady I saw at the grave. I thought about how distorted her face looked when I last saw her and most importantly, the grave that she was sitting in front of that had been dug up.

"Larkin, I think I saw a dead person. Pico didn't see her when I did and I don't think Haven and Rayne did either. I don't know why she keeps showing up so randomly around me. And I always hear singing in another language. I don't know if it's Latin."

I looked up at him and his brows furrowed. "If it is Latin then it's a spell. But what for?" I shrugged. "Beats me."

We sat in silence again just enjoying each others company. There was the occasional sound of a cricket and the buzz of a bee. I could see the town from up here all lit up with the fairy lights. It looked beautiful.

"I wanna find out more about my dad. But I doubt my mom would let me."

"Why don't you try contacting him. I'm sure there's a spell for that."

"You really think so?"

"Yeah. Did you see the present I gave you?" I shook my head. "No. I didn't have time." He smirked. "You'll like it babe." We sat there for a while until it started to get cold. Larkin and I held hands as he walked me back to my house which was such a sweet gesture.

I saw my house in the distance and I sighed, not wanting to go back. "You'll be okay." Whispered Larkin. I saw someone standing outside the house and I realised it was Jinx. "Hey Jinx. What's up?" I called. She looked at me and I saw tears falling down her cheeks.

I let go of Larkin's hand and I ran to her, hugging her tightly. "Oh Jinx, what's wrong?" I asked her. I saw Larkin wave at me before he teleported. She sniffed and shook as she continued sobbing.

"Mom told me about what she told you. She told me how you're a dark witch and dad was a human." I rubbed her back. "Okay but why are you crying? What happened?"

"I have a human boyfriend. I've been dating him for months and if mom finds out..." I hugged her again. It was so unfair. Why couldn't we date whoever we wanted? And what was the problem with being different?

"So that's why you kept going out. To see him." I muttered. She nodded and sniffed again. "I didn't want anyone to know cause he was... well... a human. That's why I stopped doing spells and making potions. I didn't want him to know something was up. Mew, I can't break up with him. He's my everything."

"I understand really. I don't wanna break up with Larkin either."

Suddenly something caught my eye. There was a man in my room standing by the window. Watching us.

"Jinx, I have to go. There's someone in my room." I said quickly, not taking my eyes off him. I didn't want to leave Jinx all alone while she was sad but there was literally someone in my room. "It's okay. Go."