Chapter 41 - Fighting the witch

The cemetery gate was wide open and I stopped in front of it, waiting for the others to catch up.

"She's in there." I told them. "Who?"

"The woman that chased us." I walked into the cemetery and looked around. I had to walk slowly so I didn't slip in the mud. "This is a bad idea." Hissed Rayne. She had her arms wrapped around her and she suddenly disappeared. "Rayne?" Haven and I called. "What?"

We could hear her but not see her. "Did you turn invisible?" Asked Haven. "No. Why?"

"I think you turn invisible when you're scared." Said Macon. "Wait you can't see me?"

"Not at all." I saw the oval shaped building. "Over there." I said as I walked toward it. It wasn't as dark inside. There was a lit candle on the wall. We went in, grateful to be sheltered by the rain.

"Look there's no one here. Let's get out of here." Said Rayne slowly. "She must be here." I said and I was right.

"aculeatum bomb." A puff of purple smoke appeared immediately stinging my eyes. I shut my eyes. Oh no, we were at a disadvantage if we couldn't see. I clenched my fists and thought of the wind.

I felt the air through my fingers and imagined it swirling, turning into a huge gust of wind to blow the smoke away. Seconds later, I felt a strong wind blow and when I squinted, the smoke had been blown out. I can't believe I did that!

My eyes watered but I was able to see a bit. The woman with the bright red hair stood there in a cloak. She glared at us. I stretched my arm out.

"glacies trabem." My hand felt cold before a purple ice beam shot out at her. She held her arm out. "obstructionum." The beam shattered against an invisible wall in front of her. Just then I saw something out of the corner of my eye.

It was the dead woman. "Haven look out!" I yelled just as the woman lunged for Haven and wrapped her hands around her throat. I was suddenly lifted off the ground and thrown against the wall.

I saw fireballs being thrown at the witch. When I looked up, the dead man was in front of me. I rolled to side, dogding him before I ran to Haven.

"salviae flore et urere!" Sage appeared all over the woman and it caught on fire. She let go of her grip on Haven and I shoved her off. Haven coughed and gasped for air. I heard a grunt and saw Larkin and Macon pinned against the wall by the witch. The man charged at me and held my arms behind my back with one arm around my neck.

Spots filled my vision as I struggled to breathe. Suddenly vines shot out and wrapped around me, pulling me free with a strong grip. "salviae flore et urere." I said quickly watching as sage appeared on the man and lit on fire. At the entrance stood Tatania and Corpse.

The vines were coming from Tatania. She aimed her hands at the witch and trapped her with vines. Macon and Larkin fell to the floor.

"aculeatum bomb!" She screamed again and the purple smoke returned, blinding and stinging my eyes. I tried to see if I could get the wind to blow the smoke out again when I heard a scream, a thud and a crack. "Tatania!" Yelled Corpse. I focused on the air through my fingers but I was too distracted by an intense heat and another scream.

I struggled to keep my eyes open as I peered through the smoke, trying to see anyone. Rayne was coughing violently and I think I saw Macon run to her side.

"Tatania!" I heard Corpse yell again but this time his scream sounded even worse. My eyes watered as I looked around for the witch. The smoke was starting to clear up but there was no sign of her.

"Oh no. Oh hell no." I heard Larkin say. I managed to see him standing in front of the staircase and I went to him. "What?" I asked as I clutched his arm. He pointed at the bottom of the staircase and I turned and gasped.