Chapter 32 - ghost

I hurriedly went upstairs, ignoring my mom in the kitchen who asked me where I was. I opened the door to find Pico on my bed turned to the window, hissing.

The man was still by the window but this time he was facing me. "You see him too?" I asked. "No but I can sense him." Answered Pico. Suddenly I didn't know what to do.

I didn't know a spell that could protect me. Was I supposed to hex him instead? If only Jinx was here.

"What are you doing here? And who are you?" I asked. Now that I got a better look at him, I could see he was almost transparent like. I couldn't make out any features though.

I faintly heard singing again. Like the voice was in my head singing that same tune and words over and over again.

"causa calamitatis. liberos suos necant." Everything seemed to slow down before I felt a pair of hands wrapped around my neck. "Mew!" Exclaimed Pico as I fell to the floor with the man above me. Even for a ghost his grip was deathly. I tried sucking in air but it was no use. My vision was soon filled with stars and I was going to black out soon.

"salviae flore et urere!" Shouted a voice but I could barely hear over the blood pounding in my ears. The grip was released and I took in a huge gulp of air as I coughed. Jinx came in and placed her hand over me. I saw a white mist before the pain in my neck and throat subsided.

As for the man, leaves of some sort bloomed rapidly on his body and caught aflame. He groaned in agony before he disappeared.

"What the heck was that?" Asked Jinx as she helped me sit up. My mom bent down beside me. "I don't know but I sensed it. What happened?" She asked looking at me with a worried expression.

"That guy just started choking me."

"The guy you said was in your room? But I saw no one." Said Jinx. "She's a dark witch. She can see dead people. Has this happened before?" Questioned my mother and I nodded.

"I'll make you a healing potion. I know Jinx just healed you but it would be better if you drank the potion. You should tell me about what happened." I nodded.

A few minutes later I sat in the living room with a mug in my hands that had light green liquid in it. It tasted good actually.

"So you're saying that the grave was dug up?" I nodded. "Yeah. I don't know... if it was her grave or someone else's." I answered. "And you heard singing in a different language?" I nodded again. My mom was silent for a second. "It's definitely a dark witch. But who and why are the important questions." She muttered. "You're going to have to show us the grave later today so the rest of us can investigate and see what we can find but I doubt we'll find much."

"I could help." I blurted out. "I mean, I am a dark witch so maybe I could see something you can't." She shook her head and sighed. "No Mew." I mentally groaned. Her expression changed and she suddenly looked focused.

"Harlequin just told me that Rayne was attacked too." I gasped. "She's fine now. Apparently she was choked too."

"Oh my gosh." I stood up. "You're not going anywhere. It's one in the morning." I rolled my eyes. "Mom, she's my friend."

"And you're my daughter so you'll listen to me and stay put." I shook my head. "No, I'm going to see her." I put the mug down. "Can you just listen for once? What if you get attacked again? Who will be there to save you?"

"Larkin." I said without thinking. I could tell she was getting angry when she sighed again. "Mew, you're making a mistake." I stayed silent. "I'm going to Rayne now. Don't keep me from seeing my friends too." I said walking past her. "I'm not. I'm protecting you."

I walked out the door and noticed Pico next to me. "Someone has to make sure you'll be okay." He muttered and I felt a warmth in my chest.