Chapter 45 - Back at the cemetery

The elevator went up slowly and I saw we were on the third floor. The corridor was long and dark with a few lit candles on the wall providing the only source of light. Corpse's room was the second door on the right. Larkin knocked on the door.

There was a shuffle and footsteps before the door opened revealing Corpse. A lit candle shone on his scar. I wonder how he got it. "What's up?" He asked as he leaned against the doorframe. He didn't look too bad. He was wearing a hoodie and sweatpants and his face looked alright. I expected his eyes to look bloodshot from all the crying or something.

I held the crystal between my fingers. "This was Tatania's gift to me on my birthday. It has fairy dust inside." He looked at it with an unreadable expression. I reached behind me to unfasten the clip. I held it out. "I want you to have it." I said softly.

His eyes widened in surprise. "Why?"

"Because you love her and you need it more than I do." I placed it in his palm. "With this she'll always be with you. Always." His eyes got glossy. "Thank you." He whispered and I smiled before I turned around.

Larkin took my hand and we walked to the front of the elevator. "That was a really sweet thing you did babe." I nodded. "I still feel bad. They looked so perfect together."

"They did." Suddenly there was a screech and a ringing sound. "Interficiam te! Modo quomodo amicum occidi tuum!" I covered my ears. There was thunder and a flash of lightning. The sounds were loud in my ears and I shut my eyes willing it to go away. I felt Larkin's hand on my arm. The words were repeated over and over again until it abruptly stopped.

My ears were ringing and everything sounded muffled as if I was underwater. There was another rumble of thunder. "Mew! Mew! Mew!"

I glanced at Larkin. The ringing was fading. "Didn't you hear that?" I asked him. A door opened and Corpse appeared. "Everything okay?"

"It was that witch. She said something, chanted something. A spell of some kind. Didn't you hear her voice and that screech and that ringing?" I was rambling now, high on adrenaline. We needed to go back to the cemetery. I had a feeling if we didn't then the sounds would start again.

"We need to go to the cemetery as soon as possible. Someone else might die, we need to go." I was inside the elevator already, pushing the ground floor button. Corpse and Larkin entered before the doors closed. "Mew what's going on?" Asked Larkin. "What about the witch?" Asked Corpse.

I was too dazed to explain it all again. "Follow me." Larkin took his phone out. As the elevator descended I heard the screech and ringing noise again. It was so loud. I dropped down on my knees. My head was bursting and I didn't know a spell to help me.

Once the doors opened, I got up and ran.

"Mew!" I heard Larkin call for me but I couldn't stop. I needed to stop this horrible noise. It was raining when I ran outside the mansion. It wasn't a great idea to run in heels but I didn't have time to take them off. I got to the cemetery quickly but the gate was locked. "No!" I cried out pushing it.

Corpse appeared beside me and placed his hand on my shoulder before he teleported us inside. The noise stopped and I sighed in relief. My head was still pounding though. "Is she here?" He asked. "I don't know." Flames engulfed his body and he stood in his demon form beside me. I gulped. He looked way scarier up close.

I heard footsteps and saw Larkin teleport next to us. "I called the others." He said. We went to the oval shaped building. There was no source of light at all but I knew she was in there. And I knew if we stepped inside, we wouldn't be able to leave until we stopped her.

"Don't go in. Not until we get backup." I said. Corpse grunted. "Is she in there?" He asked. I nodded. "That's all I need to know." He said before he stepped inside, engulfed by darkness.

I held my hand out and felt something solid. I was right. "There's a barrier. You can enter but not leave." I told Larkin. "Damn. I can't leave him there. Stay here okay?"

I grabbed his arm before he moved. "What if she summons those dead people again? You won't be able to see."

"I don't want you getting hurt. Please stay here." I shook my head. "We'll go together."

"Dammit Mew. I don't want to lose you. It's safer out here."

"I don't want to lose you either!" He looked at me and hesitated. "Alright fine. Make a barrier around you or something."

"I can only do one spell at a time. I'll be fine. Let's just go before something happens to Corpse." He nodded, took my hand and we walked inside.