Chapter 30 - The truth

"What do you mean? What do you mean I'm a dark witch?" I asked feeling myself tremble.

She let go of my hands and turned away. "No. I'll explain it some other time, just promise me you'll break up with him." I shook my head. "Tell me now. I want to know now."

"There are dark witches and dark fairies. Take Rayne for example. Her dad and mom are both light fairies which is why she's a light fairy. They're both of the same kind so they were able to conceive her. Haven's dad is a light fairy but her mom is a dark fairy. That's why she and her brother are both dark fairies. Your dad was a human and I'm a light witch. That's why you're a dark witch."

"I don't understand. What's wrong with being different?"

"People view dark fairies and witches as mistakes. Your dad was killed by the previous leaders when they found out he was a human and they wanted to kill you too but I convinced them that you were a light witch like Jinx. Haven's mom died after she gave birth to her son because her body couldn't comprehend the fact that there was a half light fairy and half dark fairy growing inside her. I hoped so bad I was wrong and that you would be a light witch like your sister but then I took a chance and asked you to do a hex. Only dark witches are able to hex."

My heart was racing. This was too much to take in. "So basically, we're mistakes?" I asked. My mom shook her head. "No Mew. You could never be a mistake. Your father and I were the ones that made a mistake and I wish I could go back in time and change it. I don't want people to see you differently and call you evil because you're not."

"So? Screw them. I am who I am. What's wrong with that?" I felt my eyes water but I blinked back the tears. This wasn't making sense. And why was I only finding out about it now?

She took another deep breath. "The previous leaders didn't accept dark witches and fairies. They tried killing all that they could find. Since I became a leader I've been trying to change that... but there are some people who won't accept you."

"So you lied to everyone and told them I'm a light witch?" She nodded. "I'm protecting you." I huffed. "Right. Of course you are."

"Mew, just tell me you'll break up with him." I scoffed. "No way. He makes me happy, isn't that what you want?" I asked before I stormed out of the room.

When I got to my room, Pico was on my bed. "Are you okay?" He asked once I slammed the door shut.

"She wants me to break up with him. She thinks I'm making a mistake."

"What mistake? Can't she see that you love him." I was on the verge of crying. "I'm a dark witch." Pico's eyes widened. "Are you sure?" He whispered. I nodded.

"My dad was a human."

"They probably killed him." He muttered. I sat down on my bed. Pico climbed onto my lap. "It's okay Mew. I still think you're pretty cool." Outside it started to rain. The wind blew inside the room through the open window making me shiver. I didn't say anything else as I sat there and stared at the wall.

Pico started purring as he rubbed his head against me. There was a knock behind me and I turned to see Larkin next to the window. I gasped.

"How did you get here?" He walked forward and sat next to me. "I teleported. What's wrong beautiful?"

"But like, why are you here?" I asked. "I noticed something was wrong when I saw the weather change. One of a dark witches power is controlling the weather but when they don't know how to control it then it syncs with their emotions. See how it's raining now? You're feeling sad." I frowned.

"How did you know I'm a dark witch?"

"I just knew." He answered. I looked down at Pico. "My mom wants me to break up with you." He took my hand. "I figured. It's cause I'm a demon." I looked up at him. "I don't care. I'm not gonna. I... I love you and-"

"I love you too. I wasn't planning on letting you go anyway." I chuckled and felt a tear slip down my cheek. "I don't know what I'm gonna do. She thinks I'm making a mistake. Are dark witches and fairies really hated here?"

"Yeah. I won't let anyone hurt you though and we'll get through this." He brought my hand to his lips and placed a soft kiss on it. "I'll always protect you Mew. Who cares what other people think." He looked at me and leant forward before kissing me.

Another tear slipped down my cheek and he cupped my face as our lips moved in sync. I meant it. I really loved him and I wasn't planning on letting him go either. When we pulled away, he wiped the tears off my cheeks. "Wanna go somewhere?" I nodded. "Sure."

Pico got off my lap and I stroked his fur before Larkin took my hand. I saw a red mist before he teleported us to a place in the forest. It was a bit dark and it stopped raining. There were still dark grey clouds though.

He led me down a path and past a hedge to a wooden gate. The gate had a rusted lock on it and he pulled a key out of his pocket before he unlocked it and pushed the gate open.

We walked in and I saw a open place surround by a hedge with a big tree, three benches and a jungle gym. "What is this place?"

"It was a park." He answered closing the gate behind us.