Chapter 5 - Choosing an outfit

It was the twenty ninth of October. All the tree leaves were brown and crunchy as Jinx and I walked home from the mall. There were Halloween decorations on most of the houses we passed. A few Jack - o - lanterns, skeletons, fake spiders in trees. It excited me.

Our house wasn't decorated as much. Just two Jack - o - lanterns that Jinx and I had made the night before. "I wanna dress up for Halloween. Our class is going to a circus." I blurted out. Jinx and I were extremely close and I knew she wouldn't tell mom anything I didn't want her to know.

"That's cool. What's your outfit gonna be?"

"A witch." She smiled. "Good choice. I'll help you get the perfect outfit." I smiled. "Thanks Jinx. Don't tell mom about the circus, I have a feeling she won't like it." She nodded. "Noted." I was grateful for Jinx. She was only twenty two and for eight years she had to be stuck looking after me instead of moving out and doing what she wanted.

"Are you going to a Halloween party or anything?" She shook her head. "No. I was hoping to try out more spells. See what else we can do."

"I almost don't wanna go." I said, chuckling. "But what about mom? Won't she hear or something?"

"She told me she's leaving tomorrow. Apparently it's some kind of emergency. She didn't elaborate as usual but I don't really care."

"I wish she... cared more. About us rather than her job." Jinx nodded. "And she won't even tell us what her job is." I didn't have any memories of my mother. Well I couldn't remember some. All I remembered was the day after I turned thirteen, she just started leaving.

I shook my head, as if I could shake the thoughts away.

When we arrived home the smell of food hit me. "It smells good." Whispered Jinx. I put the bag of groceries I was holding on the kitchen table. "Thank you girls. I made chicken curry. I was hoping we could eat together and talk." Said my mom with a hopeful smile on her face.

"Talk about what?" I asked. I didn't mean for it to sound rude and I saw her smile falter. "About you two. About school. About everything that's happened while I was gone."

I sighed. "No thanks. I have homework." I replied. "Yeah, I'm busy too." Said Jinx putting a bag of groceries next to mine.

That night after Jinx and I ate our supper in our rooms, I made my way to her room. I knocked and opened the door, quickly closing it behind me. Jinx's room was painted light blue with a double bed in the middle, a desk on either side. The lamp light was on and in the right corner was a cauldron.

"Don't ask me where I got that." She said standing above a pile of clothes. "I've managed to get the perfect outfit for you."

"Are those all your clothes?" I questioned looking at the pile. "Yeah. Some are too small for me so I decided to use them for you." I slowly nodded. "Thanks for your effort." She smiled. "Anything for my sister. Now, I have a dress for you. It's black with lace designs on it and it has long sleeves. You can pair that with high heel boots and a witch hat."

I shook my head. "No witch hat." She laughed and chucked the huge hat on her bed. "Here's a red and black long sleeve top that will fit you perfectly." She handed me the top and I nodded slowly. "This with a black skirt would look nice." I said and her eyes lit up. "Yes!"

She rummaged around through the clothes and pulled out a short black skirt. I took it from her and she pulled out stockings with a few holes. "This and-" She opened her cupboard and took out black high heel boots. "-will look so hot."

I put the clothes on the bed and took the stockings and boots from her. "Gosh, thanks so much Jinx." I wrapped her in a hug which she gladly returned. "No problem. Remember I'm here for you okay. Always."

"Always." I repeated with a smile.

~~~

It was finally the thirty first of October. Halloween. I fiddled with the end of my skirt as I waited for Rayne and Haven at the park. "Woah, looks like we've got a hottie alert guys." I looked up and saw them.

Link, Macon and Larkin.

Larkin had his usual smirk on as he looked at me, watched me. "I'll be with you now." He said to Link and Macon and they both nodded as they walked away and stood near the slide. Larkin took a seat next to me and I wanted to get up and move so badly.

"Hey Mew. You look beautiful." He licked his lips after that and I blushed. Hard. "Thanks." I mumbled. "What are you supposed to be?"

"A witch. And you?"

"Well as you can see I'm not really dressed up but a demon would fit me." Even though he wasn't dressed up, he still looked hot. He had black jeans on and a grey hoodie. "Is it cool if I sit next to you on the bus?" I continued fiddling with my skirt, nervous out of my mind.

"Uh, I'm sitting with friends so I don't think so."

"Are we interrupting something?" I looked up and saw Haven and Rayne. "You look gorgeous!" I exclaimed. And they did. Haven wore a off the shoulder blue top with a long black skirt, brown heels and amazing green wings. Her braids were blue with streaks of red in them.

Rayne wore a green crop top with spikes coming out at the bottom. A green skirt, green gloves with the same spikes, broken stockings and green heels. She had a flower crown on her head and pink wings. "Mew, look at you! You're a hot witch!" Said Haven and I stood up to hug them both.

"I really love the wings." I said as I admired them. "Hey Larkin. I'm Haven and this is Rayne. We're Mew's best friends." Introduced Haven and I had almost forgot about Larkin sitting there. "Hey." He said with a lazy smile plastered on his face. "Is it cool if I sit next to Mew on the bus?" I froze.

"Of course." Said Haven and I shot her a look. Is she crazy? I didn't wanna sit next to someone who made me flustered all the time. "Great. Thanks." He replied and I didn't even look at him.

I was feeling a bunch of emotions all at once. The bus ride would definitely be interesting.