Chapter 7 - Arriving at the circus

We stayed still, just staring at each other. Lost in each other's eyes. I felt so at peace, like I could state into his eyes forever. "Uh hey." Rayne's voice brought me back to my senses and I blinked a few times before I looked at her. "What?"

"Do you want snacks? Haven's hungry." I chuckled. "She always is. Yeah I'd like some." I turned to face Larkin. "You?" He nodded. "I could eat." Rayne nodded before she turned back around. I saw Miss Kadakia watching us. Her eyes gazed at each student for a second too long.

I got chills. I never realised how creepy she was until Larkin mentioned it. I looked out the window. We drove past trees. There were no other cars which I found weird but I kept that to myself.

Rayne handed us a sandwich which I ate quickly. "You're pretty hungry." Said Larkin as he chuckled. I shrugged. "Stress eating."

"Didn't I tell you to calm down?" Another shrug. I avoided looking in his eyes this time. I didn't want to lose myself in them. I looked out the window, watching the trees pass by in a blur. There were so many trees. "Mew." His hand touched mine and I felt that jolt again.

I suddenly wandered if he felt it too. Did it have something to do with my witch powers? "How long is this gonna take? I need to stretch my legs." I muttered pulling my hand away. A subject change always worked but Larkin didn't play along.

"Mew, look. Maybe your sister is paranoid and misses you. Don't think about it too much." I decided to ignore him and he got the hint and ate his sandwich up. We stayed silent while the others chatted noisily around us. Suddenly the bus came to an abrupt stop and I looked through the front window.

I gasped.

There was a huge red and white circus tent with fairy lights on top of it. There was a huge ferris wheel next to it that lit up with rainbow coloured lights. There were food stalls on the other side of the tent and the place was buzzing with people.

"Wow." I breathed, totally forgetting about Jinx's warning. Everyone looked so happy and laughter filled the air. This didn't seem dangerous at all.

"Looks good, right?" Asked Larkin also gazing out of the window. "Yeah it does."

"Alright kids, off you go. It'll be a while before the show begins so you're free to go and explore. Whatever you do, don't exit the gates and don't miss the show." Said Miss Kadakia with a smile. Rayne shot up. "Let's go, let's go." I couldn't help but smile at her excitement.

Larkin and I stood up and walked out into the aisle as others exited the bus already. Rayne walked in front of me and clasped my hand. "This is so exciting." She squealed. "Yeah but we can't really do anything. We don't have any money to spend." I said as we exited the bus.

Haven joined us. "That's not a problem though. Most of these stalls are food stalls and Rayne packed lots of snacks for us."

"I hope you'll share with us." Said Macon with Link and Larkin behind him. "You're in luck. Anyway, let's go!" Rayne had mine and Haven's hands in hers and walked away from the bus. She gasped at every sight. "We should go on the ferris wheel when it gets darker."

"Why?" I asked. "Cause it's romantic." Answered Haven. "Romantic? With the three of us?"

"No. With those three." She pointed to the three boys behind us who thankfully weren't paying attention to us. We stopped at all the stalls, admiring the different foods and enjoying the smell. Clowns occasionally walked past handing out balloons.

A man on stilts walked by and a woman blew bubbles. The sky was a mixture of purple and pink as the sun began to set making the atmosphere magical. I had completely forgotten about Jinx's warning, laughing and smiling at everything I saw.

It was a good idea to come here.

A speaker next to the circus tent blasted funny circus songs that some people danced to and attempted to do their own tricks. "Hey we should go on the ferris wheel now." Suggested Haven. "The sky looks great for it and you don't need to pay to go on."

"Sounds like fun." Said Larkin. "Okay wait, I need to use the bathroom." I said. "We'll wait for you at the ferris wheel." Said Rayne and I nodded and let go of her hand.

I found the bathroom behind the circus tent and thankfully it was clean. I did my business, washed my hands and applied some lipgloss on. As I walked out I heard familiar voices close by. I turned to look and my heart stopped for a moment.

It was my mom.