Chapter 24 - The strange woman

Larkin probably knew I was here and that's why he wasn't opening the door. I should just leave now. I felt like I was being watched. The hallway was dark.

I shook my head, trying not to overthink. The door opened and Larkin had a towel on his head, drying his hair. I froze. All the things I wanted to say just flew out. He opened the door even more. "Come in." I walked inside his room.

The bathroom door was open and I could tell he just showered. "You can sit on the bed. I'll be with you right now." He said before he walked into the bathroom. His tone wasn't cold and he didn't look angry.

Maybe he didn't see. I fiddled with my thumbs while I nervously waited for him. After a minute he came back out smelling like cologne. I would've melted if I wasn't so nervous.

"Did you come here to apologize?" I sucked in a breath. "Yeah." He smiled. Like actually smiled at me. "It's alright Mew. You don't have to apologize for anything." I gaped at him. "No I have to say sorry. I didn't mean it." He chuckled. "It's alright beautiful. You can kiss whoever you want to."

My heart stopped for a second. What did that mean? That he didn't like me? "So..." I looked down. "It didn't affect you?" I was beyond embarrassed. I needed to come up with an excuse quick so I could get out and cry about it to Haven and Rayne.

Larkin was silent for a second. "It did." I looked at him. "I got so jealous. I wanted to be the one to kiss you. I left before I could do anything I'd regret." His tone was low and he was looking down. "Oh Larkin." He looked up at me staring into my eyes.

"Mew, you're so special. This is so sudden." He looked away for a second before he turned back to me. "Will you be my girlfriend?" My eyes widened. Wait what?

My heart was racing and there were butterflies in my stomach. "Yes." He tilted his head before he smirked. "Really?" I nodded. "I've been in denial." I sighed. "But I like you a lot and I'd love to be your girlfriend."

He chuckled. "Ah beautiful, you've just made me the happiest demon."

~~~

"Excuse me what?! I can't believe you and Macon kissed! And you're dating Larkin! And I've done nothing with Link yet!" I couldn't help but laugh at Haven as she stared at Rayne and I. We were at Rayne's house.

Her house looked magical at first glance. It was a cabin with fairy lights that decorated the outside. Inside was this warm cozy feeling that I got. Her mom decided to bake us chocolate cookies.

I had never seen her mom before but she was beautiful with shoulder length black hair and hazel eyes just like Rayne. I decided to tell Haven and Rayne about what happened at the party and earlier today and Rayne told us how she and Macon kissed. I was surprised that Link and Haven hadn't done anything yet seeing as she was the boldest one out of the three of us.

"I'm so happy for you two really." She said after she had calmed down and hugged us both. "Oh, did your parents teach you anything about your powers?"

"Yeah. My dad's been teaching me how to fly. I haven't quite got the hang of it yet." Said Rayne. "I can fly but I get way too tired so easily. I haven't yet been able to make the vines come out of my hands."

"Leaening spells are hard."

"I'm glad we're all supernaturally weird. Imagine we had to make new friends." Said Haven glancing down at her manicured nails. Rayne nodded. "Alright girls, the cookies are ready." Called Nixie from the kitchen.

Rayne jumped up and led us to the kitchen where a tray of chocolate brown cookies sat on a table. Nixie stood there leaning over the table. "Go ahead. I added in a bit of fairy dust."

I took one. "Fairy dust?" Haven and Rayne reached out and took one and we took a bite at the same time. "Mmm oh my gosh! Mrs Babik this is so good." Said Haven as she closed her eyes. She was right.

The chocolate melted on my tongue and a warm, fuzzy feeling went through me. "Just call me Nixie." She said chuckling.

Rayne decided to take the whole tray and bring it to the lounge. We ate the cookies as we talked about boys, fashion and other supernatural things. It was soon dark and Haven and I left.

Rayne lived close to Larkin so I passed the cemetery. It was foggy now and I heard someone crying in the cemetery. A woman.

I decided to see who it was. Maybe I could help. I walked on the pathway that led into the cemetery. The gate was open. Rows and rows of graves were there. As I walked past each one, I got nearer to the crying.

At a large tree sat a woman, weeping into her hands. In front of her was a grave and the sand was dug up and a coffin was wide open with no corpse in.

"Excuse me, miss?" I said gently, walking a bit closer. "What happened here?" Her cries stopped and she looked at me with red and puffy eyes. She stood up, sniffling. "Please help me." She said in a soft voice. "What's wrong?" I asked as she walked closer.

Suddenly she tilted her head to the side and I heard a snap before she lunged at me with both hands wrapped around my throat.