Chapter 25 - Learning spells

"Mew."

I heard a soft voice call my name. Everything was black.

"Mew, wake up."

I felt something soft touch my face. It glided across my nose making it tickle and I scrunched up my nose before I opened my eyes.

I saw a dark sky littered with stars. Huh? I turned and saw Pico next to me looking worried. "Mew!" He exclaimed putting both paws on my chest. "What happened?" I asked rubbing my eyes.

"I have no idea. I had this feeling that something bad happened to you so I rushed all the way over here. I found you passed out on the ground." I sat and looked around in confusion. I was in the cemetery.

The memories tumbled back. I was next to the tree. I turned and saw the grave but it was closed. "There was a woman. She choked me, and the grave..." I pointed to it trying to make sense of it all while Pico watched me.

"We have to go back home okay? Your mom might be worried." I nodded slowly and stood up. I took one last look at the grave before I walked out with Pico.

~~~

The next morning my mom woke me up early to get ready. She was taking me to her lair so I could work on more spells. I rubbed the sleep out of my eyes and got up. The pillow was full of sand and I groaned.

I cleaned it before I went to the shower. When I finished and got dressed, I went downstairs with Pico. "Is Jinx coming?" I asked as I put bread in the toaster. "No. She left early this morning. I don't know where to." I sighed.

Now that mom was back, Jinx was the one leaving all the time without saying anything.

After I made me a toasted sandwich, we left and went to the lair. I went over each spell and tried reciting the basic ones out of my head while my mother mixed a yellow liquid in the cauldron. I held my palm out and chanted, "fiat lux." A purple light appeared in my hand and I smiled.

"I did it. My first spell." I said in excitement as I showed Pico and my mom. My mom smiled and nodded. "Very good. I'm proud of you Mew." I beamed at her and went back to memorizing more spells.

A while later my mom tapped me on my shoulder and handed me a green apple. "Try hexing it." I put the apple on the podium and looked for the easiest spell. Once I found one, I placed my hand on top of the apple.

"maledicam hanc et in ranam vertere." For a second, nothing happened and I was almost disappointed before I heard a croak and the apple disappeared into a cloud of purple smoke before a frog sat in its place.

I gasped in surprise and mentally gave myself a pat on my back. I turned to my mother who looked at the frog with a frown on her features.

"Everything okay?"

She shook her head and smiled. "Yes. We should get going. It's almost dinner time." I could tell her smile was fake but I didn't wanna say anything.

I picked the frog up and put it down outside before we made our way back home. My phone suddenly rang and I pulled it out to see Larkin's name on the screen. I smiled. "You go on ahead." I told my mother and she nodded before I answered the call.

"Hey."

"Hey beautiful. How you doing?"

"I'm good. I did two new spells so I'm pretty proud of myself." I couldn't stop smiling and Pico silently laughed. "How are you?"

"Better now that I'm talking to you. You busy?" I twirled a strand of my hair around my finger. "I'm on my way home."

"I wanna take you out later. At eight if that's okay." My eyes widened. "So like a date?" He chuckled. "Yes babe. A date." I held in a squeal. "Of course."

"I'll pick you up. See you beautiful."

"See you Larkin." I hung up and beamed. "Gosh, I think I'm in love with him." I said to Pico as we continued walking. I looked up at the sky.

The sun was beginning to set and the sky was painted a beautiful pink, purple and orange colour. "I thought you wouldn't date someone like him."

I sighed. "People change." Even though we hadn't even known each other for that long, everything just felt right with Larkin. I felt complete and I was more than happy to be dating someone like him. I heard a leaf crunch and I turned to see the woman from last night standing next to a tree.

I gasped and pointed at her. "It's her! She's the one who choked me." I said to Pico while glaring at the woman. Her expression was neutral as she watched me. "What? What do you mean?" Asked Pico.

"Last night, in the cemetery. That woman choked me and I must've blacked out." I explained. "Mew, no one's there." I froze. I looked at him before looking back in that direction.

The woman was still standing there watching me.