Chapter 9 - The first act

"What do you mean dangerous?" Asked Rayne with a confused look on her face. "The people in this circus want to kidnap everyone and do who knows what with them." Spoke the unknown man. His voice was deep and it sent shivers down my spine.

There was something about him that made him look dangerous yet trusting.

"How do you know that?" Asked Larkin. The adults looked at each other for a brief moment. "We've been keeping tabs on this circus for a while." Answered my mom. "Why?" She sighed. "You wouldn't understand."

"Then make me understand." I tried not to shout out in frustration. "I think we should tell them. They're old enough to know and they're gonna be the next leaders anyway." Said Harlequin and I tilted my head in confusion.

Leaders? Leaders of what?

My mom sighed again and ran a hand through her brown locks. "You all have special powers." Said Harlequin and I looked at him. "What do you mean?" Questioned Rayne.

"This might sound absurd but I'm a fairy. So is Oren. Dargan over there is a demon and Kyoka is a witch."

What? My eyes widened. Is that where I got my abilities from?

"I was wondering when you were going to tell us." Said Haven and I looked at her in surprise. "I discovered my abilities a while ago but I never told anyone cause I thought it would be weird."

"A fairy? I'm confused." Said Rayne. "What they're saying is true. I believe them." Said Haven turning to me. "Well Jinx and I found a spell book and experimented with it for a while. We never told anyone either." I managed to say.

"You guys didn't know?" Asked Link and I had almost forgotten the boys were there. "Did you know?" Asked Haven in annoyance. "Our parents told us at a young age that we were demons. I guess we're different from you." He answered.

It made so much sense. Why Larkin hung out with Link and Macon the first day he came to our school. He was just like them.

I soon got a crazy idea. "You said this place - the people in it are dangerous right? Why don't we help you? We have to learn someday to use our abilities and I think now would be a good time." My mom's eyes widened.

"Have you gone crazy? Just what are you thinking Mew?"

"She's right." Said Harlequin and my mother glared at him. "Look, they're next in line. They have to become used to their abilities and learn everything about it in order to be the next leaders."

"And we're here. We'll protect them." Said Oren. It was clear that my mom was against the idea but she shook her head. "Fine." Was all she said. I caught Larkin's eye and he smirked at me. Just then a intercom beeped before a voice spoke. "The show will be starting now, will everyone make their way to the tent. I repeat, the show will be starting now, will everyone make their way to the tent. Thank you." The intercom beeped again and I heard the people chatter excitedly.

"So what's our plan? Are we going or staying?" Asked Oren. "Our teacher will notice if we're gone so we'll go on in. Maybe you should stay here and see if any weird activity goes on while we're inside." Said Larkin. "That sounds like a good idea." Said Dargan.

Haven, Link and Macon had already begun walking away when my mother took my wrist again. "Don't do anything stupid." All I could do was nod. I followed them with Rayne and Larkin behind me. Miss Kadakia stood next to the entrance of the tent and smiled at us as we walked past her and into the tent.

There were rows and rows of chairs all around. Most of the front seats were taken and we sat near the back as close to the exit as we could, just in case.

Rayne had a worried expression on her face. "You okay?" I asked her softly. She swallowed. "Not really." I held her hand. "I know it's a lot to take in. I don't know how I'm handling it so well but I don't blame you." She smiled a small smile.

"Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to the Froslu Circus." There was a round of applause as a man stood in the center of a ring dressed in a suit with a microphone in his hand. Two spotlights shone on him.

"Are you all as excited as I am?!" The crowd cheered and answered yes. Larkin crossed his arms with a bored expression on his face.

"Great! For our first act, please welcome Butcher the clown." Another round of applause as the man walked away and a big clown stood in the center. It was the same guy that drove us here. He had four green balloons in his hand, his mouth stretched in a sinister smile.

The crowd watched him in silence. He pulled a butcher knife out of a pocket and popped each of the balloons. Everyone gasped and I covered my mouth in shock. A literal brain fell out of each balloon with a wet plop.

"What the hell?" Muttered Macon as we watched in disgust. Butcher picked up each of the brains and started juggling them. The crowd laughed and cheered. "Are those fake?" Whispered Rayne who had gone pale.

"Judging by the smell of blood, I don't think so." Answered Macon.