Chapter 38 - Break up

"Miss Haddix!" Called Larkin as he switched the light on. "Where's the first aid kit?" He asked me. "I have no idea." I was starting to get dizzy. The passage light switched on. "What in Kinbronds name is going on here?" Called my mom.

She was in a red robe and she walked downstairs. The red robe reminded me of the witch at the cemetery. She must've been behind all the attacks. But why? Jinx came out of her room.

My mom approached us. "She fell down the stairs. She's bleeding." Said Larkin. "Jinx, make your sister a healing potion. Take her to the lounge." Instructed my mom.

Larkin walked with me to the lounge and gently placed me down on the three seater couch. My mom switched the light on and came to my side, placing her hand on the side of my head.

"What happened?" She asked. I knew she was trying not to be mad for my sake. "I accidentally scared her and she lost her footing and fell down the stairs. It's all my fault." Said Larkin and I frowned.

Why wasn't he telling the truth?

"How come I didn't hear anything?" Jinx appeared with a mug. "Cause you're a heavy sleeper mum. Always have been."

Soon the pain subsided and the dizziness went away. I was able to sit up. My mom hugged me. "I'm glad it's nothing serious." She turned to Larkin. "You are not to set foot in this house ever again. If I find you here there will be trouble, understood?"

"No mom. Don't. It was my fault for not putting the light on."

She ignored me. "Understood?"

Larkin glanced at me. "Understood."

"Mom, aren't you going a bit too far?" Asked Jinx as she rubbed my back while I was fuming.

"He's a demon. Mew was supposed to break up with him so I don't know why he was here anyway."

"No, mom-"

"It's okay Mew." Larkin cut me off. "She's right anyway." He turned back to her. "I won't come here again and I won't go anywhere near Mew. It's over between us."

His words replayed in my head like a broken record.

It's over between us.

There was a lump in my throat and my eyes stung as tears fell down my cheeks like a waterfall. My mom smiled. "Good. Thank you." Larkin got up and left. "No." I whispered. My mom stroked my cheek. "Don't cry Mew. It's for the best."

"Oh no Mew." Breathed Jinx. It couldn't be real. It couldn't be over. He couldn't mean it. He said he loved me. He said he couldn't lose me.

There was dull ache in my chest. Heartache. My heart was breaking into tiny pieces. "Now drink up before the potion gets cold." I got up and ran upstairs and to my room. I slammed the door shut and fell on my bed as I cried.

I had just lost him.

Pico was awake and was nudging me as he purred. "Oh Mew. What happened?" I could hear my mom and Jinx arguing downstairs but I was too sad and exhausted to listen. I cried until my throat was raw and my eyes hurt from how I constantly rubbed them. I knew I looked like a mess but I wanted to go to Larkin and see what I did wrong.

I had stopped crying and told Pico about what happened. "That scum." He hissed. "Telling you to break up with him was bad enough and now he's not allowed here? How could she do that? Doesn't she see you love him?"

I glanced at him. "You're talking about my mom? I thought you were talking about Larkin." I sniffed. "Mew, I don't think he was being serious." I shook my head. "No he definitely was."

"I don't buy it. Anyway where were you? I'm smart enough to know you didn't fall down these stairs." I told him about how I heard singing and decided to follow the voice. I told him about the woman in the cloak. "She must be the witch that's been causing trouble. Why did you follow her all alone? You know better than that." He scolded.

"It was the only chance I had."

"Larkin must've lied so you wouldn't get in trouble for sneaking out." My lip wobbled at the sound of his name. "Hey, you should sleep okay. We'll figure out what to do tomorrow. Just get some rest." As much as I wanted to stay up and think of a thousand possibilities why Larkin broke up with me, I nodded and got back under the duvet.