Chapter 42 - Memorial service

There was a loud rumble of thunder and a flash of lightning. Everything seemed to move slowly. Corpse was at the bottom of the staircase kneeling beside Tatania's body. Her neck was snapped and I knew she was gone.

I covered my mouth in shock and felt tears fall down my cheeks. "But how?" I asked softly. "The witch." Answered Larkin who wrapped his arm around my waist. There was another rumble of thunder and we heard footsteps approaching.

My mom ran in with Harlequin. She froze once she saw Tatania and she ran downstairs. "Are you all okay? Where's Rayne?" Asked Harlequin frantically.

Nixie also arrived and gasped at the sight of Tatania. My mom was kneeling next to her. "Can she be saved?" Asked Nixie who was crying. "She's gone." Said my mom.

What happened after passed in a blur. Corpse had gone mad, he was kicking the walls and crying out. His lover was dead.

Nixie and Harlequin led us out. Rayne was visible again and walked with her mother as they both cried. Larkin held my hand tightly as we walked out. I couldn't stop crying. The whole thing felt like my fault.

If we hadn't come here, Tatania wouldn't be dead.

It was still raining as we walked to Rayne's house. Harlequin told us to get comfortable in the lounge while he comforted Nixie. I was shivering from the cold and Larkin had a flame in his palm that he put in front of me to keep me warm. I leaned into him as I eventually stopped crying.

"I'm sorry guys. Rayne was right. We shouldn't have gone."

"It's not your fault honey." Answered Haven. After a while my mom showed up. "Haven, your dad is worried about you. I think you should go home. Will you able to?"

Link stood up. "I'll make sure she gets home safely Miss Haddix." My heart warmed and I saw Haven smile. I knew my mom wouldn't approve but she surprisingly nodded. "Alright. Larkin will you take Mew home? I have to go back to the cemetery." I was shocked.

I thought she would scold me for being near Larkin. "Of course Miss Haddix." He replied. We stood up. "Wait Pico's at your house Haven. Will you look after him?" I asked her. "Of course."

I hugged Rayne and Haven before Larkin teleported us to my house. Jinx was sitting on the stairs and got up to hug me. "I'm so glad you're okay. Mom and I got a bad feeling and when she called Oren, he said you all ran out, we were so worried. Is everyone okay?"

"Tatania's dead." I hadn't known her for long but saying it felt so surreal. She was the kindest and most beautiful person I had known and she didn't deserve to die. I left Larkin in the lounge and went to take a warm shower. I changed into warm clothes and went downstairs.

"I'm gonna go home and shower. I'll see you later?" Asked Larkin as he planted a kiss on my forehead. I desperately wanted him to stay but I knew if my mom saw him here she'd probably go mad. "Okay." I answered. He tilted my head up with his finger so I was looking into his mesmerizing green eyes.

"I love you okay. And it's not your fault." He planted a sweet, gentle kiss on my lips. "I love you too."

Shortly after he left, I heard meowing at the front door. I opened it and saw Pico there all soaked. "Oh Pico. What are you doing?"

"I came back here obviously."

"Let me get you dried off. Wait here." I hurried upstairs to the bathroom and grabbed my towel before going back downstairs. I picked him up and wrapped him in the towel, gently drying him. "I heard about Tatania. That's awful."

"Yeah." I muttered. "You shouldn't blame yourself alright?" I nodded. "I'll try not to." Three days passed. My mom made me tell her what we were doing at the cemetery. To my surprise she didn't scold me. I guess she was too sad about Tatania to worry about reprimanding me.

Today the leaders called each town member to the center of the town and prepared a memorial service for her. After that, she was cremated. Apparently when a fairy dies, they have to get cremated and have their ashes thrown off a cliff so they can fly one last time. Hearing that made me tear up.

I spotted Larkin next to Corspe and I let go of Jinx's hand, telling her where I was going.
I made my way over to Larkin and he hugged me. I looked at Corpse. "I'm so sorry for your loss." I said earnestly. He nodded. "Thanks." He mumbled.

His gaze was fixed on a photo of Tatania. She must've been a teenager then and she was beautiful with long blonde hair, shimmering blue eyes and a dust of freckles. She had a beautiful smile.

"Sorry for your loss? In my opinion she deserved to die." Said a gruff voice. A man stood there with a frown. "I mean, she's a fairy and you're a demon. You know you can't date another species. If you're a demon then you date a demon. She died because she didn't go with the flow."

Corpse snapped. "Shut your mouth!" The atmosphere started heating up and he grunted. He hung his head low before he let out a growl.

Flames crawled all over his skin. "Corpse no." Said Larkin. The flames disappeared and in the place of Corpse was a nasty looking demon.

That must be his demon form.

Larkin gripped my hand. The crowd gasped and stepped away from him. "Corpse." Warned Larkin. Luckily Dargan appeared behind Corpse. He put a hand on his shoulder. "Go home and cool down. I'll deal with these hooligans."

Corpse was reluctant but pushed past his dad and the crowd. Whispers erupted. Dargan stared at the man.

"No one deserves to die." He said slowly making sure the guy heard. "So what if they were dating? Ever since Corpse dated Tatania he was more social. Of course we never spoke to each other that much but I noticed. Just like how I noticed the love my other son has for his girlfriend." I squeezed Larkin's hand.

"So what if dark witches and fairies are bred? Aren't we supposed to be accepting of all? Just because they have the word dark, doesn't mean they're evil. If anyone else has something to add, say it now. I dare you." It was silent. No one dared to say anything.

I stole a quick glance at my mom. Her expression was unreadable but I knew she didn't agree at all with what Dargan said.

Larkin leaned closer to me. "I'm gonna go check on Corpse. I'll see you later?" He whispered. I nodded and kissed his cheek.