Chapter 29 - The talk with mom

There was a table right by the staircase with chairs around it. A blue cloth covered the table. Tatania and Jinx were already seated and talking while Link and Macon wished me happy birthday.

"I'm almost done." Called my mom from the kitchen as the rest of us sat down, talking to one another.

I looked around the table at all my friends. What we went through was scary and who would've guessed each one of us had supernatural powers. I looked at Haven and Rayne who had been with me since I was seven. It was such a coincidence that we all had abilities but to be honest, even if they didn't have, I would've still told them I was a witch.

My mom appeared holding a chocolate cake with a lit candle in it. "Ooh that looks delicious Miss Haddix." Commented Haven as my mom placed the cake right in front of me.

"Happy birthday my angel. I can't believe you're eighteen now." She said as she stood next to me. The cake looked nice. The top was covered in white icing with sprinkles littered on it.

It looked pretty simple but I loved it.

"Go on, make a wish." Said Jinx as she smiled at me. I looked back at the cake and closed my eyes.

What could I wish for? I was content at the moment. I had a great sister and mom, two beautiful best friends and a boyfriend.

I wish to learn more about my abilities and that all the lives lost at the circus may rest in peace.

That sounded good enough. I opened my eyes and blew the flame out while everyone cheered. "Time to eat the cake." Announced my mother as I smiled. Larkin stood up.

"I'll get plates. You have a seat Miss Haddix." My mom smiled as Macon and Link also stood up. Larkin came behind me.

"Happy birthday beautiful. I hope your wish comes true." He whispered before he placed a sweet kiss on my lips. Haven whistled and Jinx winked at me. I sighed happily as I felt my cheeks heat up.

Macon handed me a knife while Larkin and Link handed out plates. I cut a slice of the cake and Larkin kissed me on my cheek. I wasn't used to pda but his kisses were so sweet that I soon stopped shying away from it.

We all ate cake and spoke but I noticed my mom was strangely quiet the whole time and whenever I asked her questions her answers were short. Haven took out her phone. "We need to take pictures cause all of us look super hot right now."

"Actually I think it's time for everyone to leave. It's getting late." My mom stood up, smoothing out her beige dress. The table went silent. I chuckled.

"Mom relax. We're just gonna take pictures." Her eyes narrowed as she glared at me. "I said everyone should leave." My smile disappeared and Tatania stood up. "Yeah we should get going." She gave me a small smile and Jinx stood up.

The atmosphere was so awkward. Haven got up and hugged me. "She probably wants to teach you some spells or something." She whispered before she let go and smiled at me. I hugged Rayne and they followed Tatania and Jinx.

Larkin hugged me. "I hope you enjoyed your day beautiful." I nodded with a smile as he placed his hand on my cheek. "I did." He smirked before he kissed me and went outside with Link and Macon.

"Mew come with me." Said my mother sternly as she walked upstairs. I followed her, feeling a bit nervous. Why was she being like this?

She led me to the last room in the hallway. It was hers. I had actually never seen her room before up until now. It was red with a double bed in the middle and a window seat. There was a cupboard and a desk. The room smelt of her perfume.

"What are you doing with Dargan's son?" She hissed. "Are you two dating? How could you Mew?" Something flashed in her eyes and I frowned. "What are you talking about?" I was genuinely confused.

"You can't be with him anymore. He's a monster!" My brows furrowed. "No he's not. He's my boyfriend and he makes me happy." She took a deep breath and looked at me in disgust.

"He's a demon. You can do better than that." I shook my head. "So what? He hasn't hurt me!" I was furious. How could she judge him? I thought everyone supernatural was accepted here.

"You don't understand. You're making a mistake."

"Then make me understand." It was my birthday. We weren't supposed to argue like this. "I did the same when I was your age! I fell in love with a human and then you came." She grabbed my hands. "You're not a light witch like Jinx and I. You're a dark witch. I made a mistake and you were the outcome and I'm so sorry, I regret it so much but please don't make the same mistake I did."

There were tears in her eyes. I was too stunned to speak.