Chapter 10 - The second act

"I can't believe people find this amusing." Said Haven in disgust and I agreed. Butcher finished juggling and took a bow while the crowd clapped and cheered. "I can't watch anymore." Said Rayne covering her eyes. Butcher left the stage and Miss Kadakia came out wearing a black leotard.

"Oh right, she said she was part of the circus" Said Haven and Rayne peeped out through her fingers. "Everyone, please welcome Mystical Minerva." Boomed a voice.

A trapeze lowered from the ceiling. "I'd like a volunteer please." Said Miss Kadakia. Hands shot up and she smiled and picked a random boy. He had a smile on his face as he cheerily got up the stage and stood next to her. She whispered something to him and he nodded before she jumped up and grabbed the trapeze with her hands.

Her body moved as she swung gracefully through the air. The crowd gasped in awe. She suddenly did a flip and held onto the trapeze with her feet. More gasps filled the air. As she swung, the boy lifted his arms into the air and she took his hands and they swung together.

A platform suddenly opened below and a row of sharp, metal spikes emerged. "What?" I muttered. Miss Kadakia suddenly let go of the boys hands and he fell face flat onto the spikes.

Rayne gasped and covered her eyes again. Blood poured out onto the spikes and I stared in shock. The crowd was silent for a second before they cheered. "What? What's wrong with everyone? Can't they see someone just died?!" Exclaimed Haven in horror.

The spikes retracted with the body and Miss Kadakia stopped swinging and finally jumped down, bowing afterwards. "I can't watch this anymore." Said Rayne getting up and running outside.

I caught Miss Kadakia's eye as she glowered at me. Haven and I got up and ran out after Rayne. "Do you think we'll get in trouble for leaving?" I asked. Haven shook her head. "Who cares." We walked behind the tent, near the ferris wheel and past all the stalls but Rayne was no where.

"Where could she have gone?" I questioned getting worried. "Maybe she's in the bathroom?" We went into the ladies bathroom. "Rayne?" I called out while Haven checked each stall. "She's not here."

There was a low growl behind us and we turned to see Butcher standing at the entrance of the bathroom door. Oh no. He had his knife in his hand, swinging it while looking at us menacingly.

I was frozen. What now? "We just went to the bathroom for a break. We'll go back inside the tent." Said Haven, her voice quivering. Butcher didn't buy it. He growled again moving closer toward us.

We both backed away until we were against the basins. Butcher charged at us and I made a dash to the left into an open space. Haven was on the other side, next to the bathroom stalls. She was basically cornered. Butcher realised and charged toward her. "Haven!" I screamed feeling helpless.

I suddenly saw her float up fast and knock against the ceiling. She stayed up for a few seconds, floating over Butcher before she fell down behind him. Butcher growled turning to face her, a confused look on his face.

She scrambled up and ran to where I was standing. Butcher grunted getting ready to charge at us again when vines snaked in through the doorway and wrapped around Butcher's body. Harlequin stood there.

A light blue mist emitted from his hands as vines came out. That must be his power. "Get out now!" He shouted and we didn't need to be told twice as we dashed out the bathroom behind him.

"Are you okay? What happened?" I asked Haven as soon as we were away from the bathroom. I was shaking from adrenaline. If it wasn't for Harlequin we would've been done for.

"I don't know... I just... floated." Said Haven. "Are you okay?" My mom and Oren ran towards us. "Harlequin's in the bathroom restraining Butcher." Said Haven and Oren ran off in the direction of the bathroom. "Are you girls okay?" Asked my mom again.

I nodded. "We can't find Rayne though. She ran out." A rumble of thunder was heard and only then did I realise just how dark it was. "Calm down Mew. We'll find her." She must've noticed me shaking. "I'm gonna help Oren and Harlequin. Dargan is outside the main gate. Mew, there's a barrier that prevents people from leaving. When you get there I want you to hold your hand out, focus really hard and say the word evanescet."

I looked up at her in confusion. "Just do what I say." She said before leaving us as she ran to the bathroom.