Chapter 44 - Dinner

I took a quick shower and put on a long red dress with red heels. I let my hair loose, feeling it cascade down my back and shoulders. A small pink bag caught my eye.

"Oh that's Tatania's gift to me." I murmured. I hadn't opened any gifts except for Larkin's because I had forgotten. I went and picked the bag up. It felt light. There was tissue paper inside. I sat down on my bed and took the tissue paper out. Inside was a small box with a note attached to it.

'I don't normally give out these kind of gifts but you're a real special girl and I love you - Tatania xx'

Tears immediately formed in my eyes and rolled down my cheeks. I placed the note down and opened the box. It was a necklace with a gold chain and a small clear crystal attached to it.

Inside the crystal was tiny glowing sand. "Fairy dust." I couldn't help but cry. The gift was small yet so beautiful. I put the chain around my neck. I couldn't stop staring at the crystal. I wiped my tears as soon as I heard the doorbell ring. I quickly touched up on my makeup and went downstairs.

Jinx had already let Larkin in and he stood there with a bouquet of white tulips. My mom was the first to greet him. "Hi Larkin. Thank you for coming." She hugged him and I smiled at his confused face. Luckily he kept him composure.

"Thanks for having me over. These are for you." He said holding out the bouquet to her. "Oh they're lovely. Tulips are my favourite." She gushed. Over the phone, I randomly told Larkin tulips were my favourite flower. Of course they weren't, they're my mom's. "I'll put these in a vase. You can have a seat so long. Dinner is almost ready." I hugged Larkin when she left.

"My mom approves of us. This dinner is a way of her saying sorry she was mean to you." I told him. He chuckled. "I thought I was going crazy when she hugged me. You look gorgeous as always." He placed a kiss on my cheek. "And you look handsome as always." I complimented.

We took a seat at the dining room table and talked about our day. Soon Jinx and my mom brought the food. Roast chicken and potatoes with macaroni salad.

"Wow Miss Haddix, this looks great." Complimented Larkin. "And it smells great too." I added feeling my mouth water already. "Oh, where did you get that?" Asked Jinx as she touched the necklace. I smiled. "My birthday gift from Tatania. Beautiful isn't it?"

"Oh yes it's gorgeous."

"Before we eat, I'd just like to apologize to you Larkin. I think you're perfect for my daughter and I'm glad you two are happy together."

"No problem Miss Haddix. It's all water under the bridge." Replied Larkin. "Alright let's eat." Said Jinx who already started piling food on her plate. We all followed and began eating. A thought suddenly struck me as I glanced at the necklace.

"Hey is your brother at home?" I asked, looking at Larkin. "Yeah, he hasn't been out much." I nodded slowly. "I'd like to visit him after this if that's okay?"

"Sure gorgeous. By the way food is delicious. I've had food cooked for me by the servants but it's nice to have food cooked from the heart. Tastes way more better." My mom smiled and held her hand to her heart. "Thank you." I finished eating and Jinx and I went for seconds. I gave some chicken to Pico which he happily ate.

When we were done, Jinx got up. "I'll do the dishes." She announced. "I'll help. Larkin and Mew can go see Corpse." Said my mom.

"Are you sure? You can rest and we can help." I said. "I'm sure. Thank you for coming Larkin. It was nice having you here." Larkin smiled. "Thank you for the food and inviting me." We got up and I took Larkin's hand before we went out.

"I'm happy I met you. Even though we didn't know each other for a very long time... I feel like you're the one for me. I've even stopped blushing around you." I said as I laughed. Larkin squeezed my hand. "And I love you more than anything. Now that we've got the parents approval we should get married already." I laughed at how nonchalantly he said it.

"Sure." I replied. When we passed the cemetery I didn't look at it. I didn't want to see or hear anything. What happened that day was scary and I was not ready to go through it again.

"I wonder... do you think our parents will find that witch?" I asked. "It will take some time but yes. If anyone will be able to find her quickly then it's you. The dead people lead you to her and you're the only one that can see the dead people. I'm not saying go after her just to be safe but you're the only one that can lead us to her. Although I doubt your mom will let you."

Soon we arrived at Larkin's house that was incredibly dark. "What if he's sleeping?" Larkin smirked. "We're demons babe. Do you think we sleep?"

"Yes?" I muttered and he laughed. He led me up the pathway and inside. I immediately felt uneasy and felt eyes on me even though there was no one.

"I feel like I'm being watched." I told him as we stepped inside the elevator. "Oh yeah. Those are other demons."

"Where are they?"

"Inside the walls." I shuddered and waited for the elevator the ascend.