Chapter 3 - Hot boys

It was half past nine in the evening and I was hungry. I hadn't had any dinner due to homework and now that I was finally finished, I was ready to eat anything.

School really isn't a joke.

I opened my door and the house was quiet as it always was. I walked down the hallway and to my surprise I found my mom in the kitchen.

"Mew! I wasn't sure if you were sleeping or not but I kept some food for you." She said pointing to the microwave. "Oh. Thank you, I just didn't know you'd still be here." She smiled. "I won't need to go away for a while." To my surprise I felt annoyed.

She never tried to contact us while she was away so we never had a good relationship. Seeing her so happy just felt weird. She didn't feel like my mom in that moment. I took the food out the microwave.

It was lasagne. "You can warm it up if it's too cold." I just shook my head, got a fork and started eating as soon as I sat on the couch. She turned around and put the kettle on. Both of us were quiet until I decided to break the silence.

"Do you know where Kinbronds is?" A spoon fell on the floor with a clatter.

"What?" The mood changed and I wasn't sure whether to answer or not. "Kinbronds." I said slowly, wary. "No I don't. Why do you want to know about it anyway?" Her tone was sharp.

"I just saw it come up somewhere and I wanted to know where it was. It's not a big deal to me." She was quiet after that and I finished my food as quickly as I could before I went back to my room.

~~~

The next morning I met up with Haven and Rayne at a park as we always did before we walked to school together. The park wasn't far from my house, just a three minute walk. There was a set of swings that was wet from the morning fog. A really tall slide that I really enjoyed going on and a roundabout.

There was a bench that we liked sitting on after school. Haven was there already. She flung her braids over her shoulder and waved at me. Haven was gorgeous with an hourglass figure. She always had braids and she was dark skinned.

"Hey."

"Hey."

"You have no idea how excited I am to see the new boy. I'm not even bothered by the fact that he took my seat but if he's ugly then I want it back." I chuckled. "Even if he was ugly, I don't think he'd give the seat back. Rayne and I saw him with Link and Macon." She grimaced. "Those troublemakers? I don't like them but he must be hot if he's hanging with them."

"You find Link and Macon hot?" I questioned. "Who doesn't?"

"Who doesn't what?" Asked Rayne as she skipped over to us. Rayne was just as gorgeous was shoulder length brown hair and hazel coloured eyes. She had a very cute aesthetic vibe going on and was the more cautious one out of the three of us.

"Find Link and Macon hot." Haven said. Rayne twirled a strand of her hair around her finger. "Well Macon does look attractive with that eye patch he always has." I gasped. "Not you too!"

"It's not like you don't find the new boy hot. What was his name again?"

"Larkin and I never knew you found him hot Mew." I felt my face heat up. "I don't."

"She's definitely lying. She was swooning over him when I called her yesterday." I walked away from the oak tree that was right behind the bench. "See you weirdos at school." I called out and they laughed as they walked next to me. "There's nothing wrong with finding a boy hot." Said Haven winking.

"I'd rather finish school and get a good job before I invest in any romantic relationships."

"I hope you'll remember those wise words when Larkin asks you out." I rolled my eyes. "Oh look!" Rayne stopped us then dragged us by our hands to a streetlight. "It's a flyer advertising the circus." She said as Haven took it. It was the same one that we saw yesterday, just on paper.

"I asked my mom where Kinbronds is and she said she didn't know but she seemed so weird and I didn't know whether to believe her or not."

"Maybe she does. She's never home right? What if she's out visiting cool places but doesn't tell you and Jinx?" Asked Haven. "I don't know. Did you find it on a map?" I asked Rayne. "Not yet." We started walking again.

"I don't know if it's close to here or not so I have to look through all of them and that takes a lot of time."

Soon we reached school and the first person I laid eyes on was Larkin. He was outside the school gate which a black bag slung over his shoulder, hands in his pockets. He looked at me and walked over. Haven and Rayne were talking while I stood there frozen.

"Hey Mew." Haven and Rayne went quiet. He winked at me as he walked past, my eyes followed him and I saw Link and Macon watching him as he approached them.

Haven grabbed my arm. "He's hot!" She whisper - shouted. I just nodded, still stunned.