Howling Winds

As George cleaned the dishes and Alex helped clean the table, Alex couldn't help but feel like it was a bad idea to go back to the arcade. He wanted Karl to feel safe, but he wanted him to be safe too. As Karl came down the stairs from the bathroom, Alex understood that he would be safe in the arcade. He recognized that the ghost he cared for would be safer and happier if he was in a place that was seemingly deserted even by inhuman life.

George finished washing the dishes and Alex finished with the table. Dream had brought down the old skeleton key and George's stuffed toy. Karl had been sitting on the couch after George had refused to let him help, and he now stood waiting for the others to get ready.

George quietly ran over to the laundry room and grabbed out coats for everyone, as it had begun to get colder. After George forced Dream into a coat, they were all ready to leave. They turned off all of the lights in the house, turned on the porch light, and locked the door behind them. As they walked, they took their time looking around at the still deserted neighborhood.

The group walked close to each other, Alex promising himself that he wouldn't leave Karl again. As they approached the end of the neighborhood, they made sure to watch their surroundings. The air around the fork in the sidewalk was cold as ice, George shivered as a feezing breeze blew through his hair. Dream noticed George's shivers in the dark light of the almost set sun, he put his hand on George's shoulder.

George smiled at Dream before he looked over to see Alex with his arm around Karl's waist. They started down the path to their right, the one that would lead them to the old building. The farther they walked the colder it got, the wind screamed, urging the group on. They all stood still for a moment, before obeying the orders of the air.

They walked with the wind for what felt like hours, the cold getting colder as they walked on. As they walked farther, the sun fell, quickly covering the group in a blanket of darkness. The moon was their only guide as they fought down the urge to return to the house, how they wanted out of the cold.