Sounds Better in Silence

Everyone had woken up, the trio of teenagers being pulled into another room and told to be quiet. They had been playing catch with an old hackey sack they had found behind the prize counter while George cooked lunch. Alex had stepped outside for a while, and Karl still sat with Dream. He watched the few spots of white soak through with Dream's crimson black blood.

"Dream," Karl whispered, as quietly as he could, "we have to change your bandages." Dream looked up from his much to loud thoughts and nodded slowly, standing to follow Karl into the bathroom.

Karl worked quickly and quietly, not wanting to make Dream suffer any more then he already was. Dream however was completely unfazed by the action. He sat, staring at the floor with unseeing eyes unless told otherwise by the soft voice of his doctor friend.

After Karl had finished changing the bandages, the two returned to the main room and sat down. George served lunch, sitting down at the table with Dream and Karl. They ate in dark silence, deciding the lights were too bright. They ate slowly, still tired and uncomfortable in the silence of the room. But eventually after what felt like forever to Dream, George took the plates from everyone to be washed.

Dream could've sworn he had fallen asleep for a little bit, because when he looked up from his comfortable seat he saw the young trio sitting at a table, they were using their phones to communicate so as not to disturb the silence.

Before Dream could question the small nod Ranboo gave to the others, the three very quietly began to hum a beautiful melody. A melody, Dream began to realize, that he had sung a million times to himself. Dream's eyes grew wide as he recognized the well-thought out tune as the song he had sung to them that night.

Karl's eyes followed Dream's gaze to the group of teenagers. They swayed to the shakey song with their eyes shut peacefully. Karl was quick to stop them, with a quick "shhh" that came out more aggressively then intended.

The group immediately quieted and turned their glances directly to Dream, in any other situation it would have been seen as weird, but this was different. To Karl he assumed the glance was an apology, but it wasn't an apology like he thought.

Dream's scared gaze shifted slowly into a soft smile, his eyes relaxing closed as he nodded to the three, signaling that it was alright to continue. Karl gave him a questioning look, but was met with the same smile he had given the others.

The melody danced around the room as it was hummed with uncertainty. Nowhere near Dream's ability, but that was ok. Karl had seemingly taken a quick likening to the song, swaying with the steady pulse.

The song ended much to quickly for everyone. Ranboo took it apon himself to start humming the beautiful song him and Dream had created. Dream's words echoed in his mind as he hummed the unfamiliar parts he had not sung. As Ranboo shifted his gaze to Dream, he saw the words burned into his mind be mouthed by the man who had spoken them.

"Improvise."

And so he did, eventually getting the hang of it as he hummed the melody softly.

When the song finally ended, everyone had smiles on their faces. Dream, who was resting against the chair, with the biggest smile of them all. He was glad his songs had made such a positive impact on everyone, even if not sung directly by him and his hand carved golden instrument.

George, who had heard them in the kitchen and come to listen, approached the small group, a question clear in his eyes.

"Where did you guys learn those songs? I've never heard them until now."