silent treatment (requested)

You took a deep breath as you opened the bedroom door.

Ariana sat on the edge of the bed, keeping her gaze down on her phone as you made your way to her.

You know she can hear every step that you take, especially when the floorboard creaked beneath your feet as you got closer to the bed.

She was looking at you from the corner of her eye as you sat down but she didn't tell you. She refused to say a word.

"Ariana? Can you put your phone down for a moment so we can talk?" You asked but she ignored you, refusing to put her phone down.

That meant she'd have to give you her attention and she wasn't quite ready for that yet. Not after what happened a few minutes ago.

"I know I really messed up. I shouldn't have snapped at you."

She continued to sit in silence, only breaking your heart more.

"I know I was wrong. I didn't mean to get upset with you. You did nothing wrong. I just had such a terrible day and-"

She shifted uncomfortably and you knew she was wordlessly telling you she didn't want to hear it.

"That doesn't matter, I know." You said and tried to hold her hand, but she pulled away as soon as your fingers brushed against her knuckles and continued to stare down at her phone screen.

"What I said to you was wrong. Nothing can excuse that."

She bit at her lip, looking at you from the corner of her eyes once more.

"Ari, you're not annoying. When you greet me at the door with hugs and kisses and ask me all about my day - those things mean everything to me. I know I had a funny way of showing that today and for that, I'm truly sorry. But I mean it. Truly. I love when you hug me and tell me how much you missed me and give me kisses across my face. I love you."

She didn't say a word so you let out a shaky breath before nodding.

"Okay. You're still upset. I understand. I deserve the silent treatment." You put your sock-covered feet back on the floor. "Just know that whenever you want me to listen to whatever it is you have to say, I'm happy to. I'll even sleep in the guest room tonight to make things better."

"And how would that make things better?" She asked as she gently took ahold of your wrist as you tried to get up from the bed.

"I-I thought you were mad so I was thinking it would make you feel better."

"Well, you thought wrong." She said quietly and finally looked you in the eyes. "Y/N, I understand you had a hard day. That happens to everyone. Look at how many times I come home feeling upset after my terrible days. It's natural to feel that way. But I don't take it out on you."

"I know. You never do. You're amazing like that."

She sighed a little although you saw a hint of a smile on her face.

"I didn't do anything to deserve to be called annoying. You snapped at me and that hurt my feelings very much."

"I understand completely. I would feel the same if it were me that got snapped at."

She bit the inside of her cheek before licking her lips.

"It's a terrible feeling, y/n. All I wanted to do was give you hugs and kisses and you told me I was annoying and you didn't want me around you because your day was bad enough."

"I know. I was wrong." You confessed and she watched her smile a little. "No excuses. I was wrong and I regret it. I didn't mean it, that's the honest truth."

"I know you didn't. I know how wonderful you are and I know, on any normal day, you would've never spoken such words to me. But remember, once you're home you're safe. Because you're with me. Have a bad day and need some space? Tell me kindly and I'll give it to you. I won't know these things otherwise."

"I know. I'm sorry."

"It's okay. I forgive you." She said with a smile, her hands holding yours.

You breathed out a sigh of relief before she gave you a kiss on your lips.

"You can tell me what happened today if you want. I'll listen if you need to talk."

"No, I'm okay. I want to forget about it all completely. I'm safe with my girl. I just need some hugs and kisses."

She gently pushed you onto your back and hovered over you, giving you all the kisses you wanted.

You couldn't help but giggle from the happiness you felt, your heart fluttering in your chest as she made everything better; as she always does.