Sɪʟᴇɴᴛ

His house was quiet. Maybe too quiet.

   He stepped carefully inside, slowly closing the door behind him.

   His instinct were shouting at him to leave the house, 'cause something horrible might happen.

   Of course -as the bookworm he was- he knew the main character has to risk their life sometimes, to know more information.

   So, he choose to ignore his scared breaths, and the cramps in his abdomen.

   He moved carefully, and slowly on the house's wood floor.

   He exactly knew where were the squeaking parts, so he avoided them, to surprise whatever was inside his house, the (S/n).

   He grabbed the handle of the storage room door, and peeked inside.

   There was no sign of breaking in, or any creature. But this was most the easiest spot for a burglar! The window didn't even have curtains, and was enough big for a normal growth person to fit in.

He moved even slower now, watching his steps nervously.

   He looked all around the storage room, there was not a soul.

   'If they are not here, they might be up!'

   In his mind, he sounded confident, while the reality wasn't even close to that.

   He always had a fear of being jumped at, by a weird creature, from one of the shadowy corners.

   Well, he was still working on defeating this childish fear -with almost no success 'till this day.

   He gulped, looking up at the stairs.

   'It's now or never, Y/n. I may never have the chance to see..whatever is up there again. It might be something big!' -he tried encouraging himself.

   He clenched his fist, and turned towards the stairs.

   His steps weren't making any sound for his luck. Even the creaky parts of the staircase were quiet this time, just like someone was wanting him to go up there.

   With all his bravery, he made it to the top. Anxiously looking around, holding his breath, Y/n's remembered something.

   He lives in a weapon store, yet he forgot to bring at least a sword.

   He started to tremble, knowing he wasn't safe.

   'Welp..that was a bad idea.'

   He sounded so calm in his mind.

   He could wish everything was that calm, as his voice in his thoughts.

   The sounds of someone's steps almost echoed through the hallway.

   Y/n felt a shiver running down on his spine.

   They were close, dangerously close..

   ..and they came from his bedroom.

   'Why? From all the places, why the bedroom?..'

   The elf boy came closer to the room, where he heard the steps from.

   The door was slightly open, so he didn't need to attempt anything dangerous, by opening the door.

   As soon as he pressed his face against the opening -still being careful to not move the door with his head- the sound stopped.

   The blood completely froze in his veins.

   The thought that he was spotted by the creature circled in his mind.

   'Shit..should I run?..'

   He decided that he could just close the door quickly, even if the thing charged at him with full speed. Then the door would give him a few seconds to run for his life, and he could escape through the window, if the creature caught up to him.

   The plan sounded easy, but he was not the main character of a book to actually have success. Only those fictional characters had success in plans like this.

   As he was ready to shut the door on the thing, they never came.

   He pressed his face to the opening, trying to see what was inside.

             --------------

   Leif, who stayed at his elf's house -like how he would call Y/n-, was full of worry and madness.

   Y/n had sneaked out, while he was asleep, and god knows what happened to him.

   'I need to protect him!' -that was the only sentence, that was on his mind at the moment.

   Yet, he just couldn't leave the house.

   He knew he would do unspeakable things if he left himself outside, and would scare away him.

   Him.

   The only light in his boring, miserable life.

   Before he meet Y/n, he had nothing to live for. And the memory of his shitty father haunted his mind in every moment.

   He never hurt him, or even lifted his hand to scare him. His father wouldn't ever do that, even in his mentally unstable times.

   But that doesn't cover the fact that he wasn't the best parent in the town.

   'NO'

   It was not the time to think back at his father, he needed to protect Y/n, from them.

   Leif ran his hand into his hair, gripping it slightly, not knowing what to do with the rage.

   Suddenly, he stopped in his track.

   'I think I heard someone..'

   He glanced at the slightly opened door, and tilted his head.

   From his angle, nobody could be seen, for Y/n fortune.

   His mind cleared for a brief second, thinking it was his precious lover.

   -Y/n? Is that you? -he asked, surprised at how he sounded so calm and sweet.

   Nothing.

   He stared at the door, not leaving it out of his sight.

              --------------

   -Y/n? Is that you? -he calmed down a bit, by hearing the familiar, soft voice of Leif.

   He wanted to respond immediately.

   Then, out of the corner of his mind, a weak voice said.

   'You don't ever find him suspicious?'

   This striked him, and the respond stayed in the very back of his throat.

   Thinking that the voice was saying some true things, he stepped back quietly, waiting for Leif to start walking again.

   'That is so stupid..Why do I wanna sneak out from here without a sword?'

   While Y/n was stuck in his thoughts, Leif came closer to the door, without a sound.

   'He would never hurt me, right?'

   As the elf asked himself, the door opened, and a hand grabbed his chin to move it in their way.

                ---------------
Words: 990
2022. jan. 12.

Don't forget to get enough sleep, don't be like me! :)