Gᴜɪʟᴛ

Their conversation shifted from Leif's well-being to the original topic. Dahna's "mysterious" incident. Leif denied everything patiently, while Y/n wanted to get every crumb of information he could. The human explained their little story at least twice, but the other didn't seem to believe any of his bullshit. Nor he actually listened to him.

   -Leif, just confess already -the look in his eyes pierced through him, just like sharp knives.

   Y/n's worry disappeared out of blue, all it was left in the moment was pure hatred and suspicion. Mostly hatred.

   -There is nothing to confess here, darling -the warmth of
Y/n's long gone hand burned his face- Let me tell you what you are doing at this moment.

   His elf clicked his tounge, and listened to him with an annoyed, tired look.

   -You are falsely accusing an innocent man -who did nothing to your friend, or anyone ever- but you are so tangled in your own version of the incident that you can't see the truth, sweetie.

   The feeling of guilt quickly slapped Y/n right in the face with the speed of a thunder. He wasn't sure if he should feel guilty, or try to get the truth out of the other, but it sure felt bad.
So, Leif got what he wanted.

   Sometimes deep down, in the back of his mind, the elf wished he wasn't that easy to manipulate.

   Oh, how things would be different if he wasn't that naive.

   Eye contact was made between, but Y/n broke it by storming out of the guest room.

   The half-litted guest room felt so lonely and sad, as his precious elf left. Leif didn't want to go after him for the first time in his life, and just listened to his steps becoming quieter, 'till they were out of his hearing zone.

   -Silly elf -he whispered, and layed back on the bed, watching the shadows on the ceiling above him.

   The flicking light of the candle was slightly annoying the human, but he didn't touch it, or blew it.

   Y/n had to get back, since the woman had no other space for them to stay.

   The woman knows.

   His elf wouldn't sleep on the floor, even if it was necessary. He knew it from stalking Y/n.

   Then, he closed his eyes, drifting away to a land, where he can forget the weird hallucination, which felt more than real.

                 --------------

   Y/n had to go away, since Leif closed their argument with his last sentence. Further arguing would be useless, since they didn't listen to each other. Both of them were just saying what they are thinking.

   But, even tough he left, he didn't just leave to clear his mind. Absolutely not! His plan was to get Dahna to talk, which was easier said than done.

   The doctor -as later he learned, Dr. Jayde- tried different methods, as she would try with other patients, but none of them could work.

   His hope was that the girl would open up to him, since they weren't just total strangers. And that Leif wasn't in the picture now, maybe she would be more relaxed. If he was the reason, of course.

   Y/n was sure he was the reason, and had no doubt. But guilt didn't let him to say it out loud.

   "What if I'm really just wrong? He will never forgive me"

   The same thoughts circled in his head, repeating again and again.

   He tried with all his power to hush them away, but no change was made.

   And -while he was busy clearing his mind- he arrived to Dahna's room.

   Out of instinct he knocked, not really knowing what to expect. Dahna wasn't going to get up from the bed, since she looked more exhausted then ever. She didn't even have energy to stand up by herself from the chariot.

   Y/n took a deep breath and collected his strength to open the door. He placed his hand on the handle, and slowly opened the door. Fortunately there was a candle placed inside, so he didn't have to go back for one. Such a relief.

   The candle's poor lighting gave enough light just to see Dahna lying in the white bed. Eyes wide open, staring at the white ceiling above their head. Her hair was messy as it was before, and the bandage over her head was blood tainted.

   Just by looking at her, Y/n could feel it was his own fault. He let Leif close to her, and ignored her when she told him he should stay away from the masked.

   Then, that pathetic excuse ringed inside his head.

   "..I fell off the chariot"

   A fall couldn't have that much impact on her, even if it was brutal. It was clearly Leif's work. But something just didn't make sense. Why would she defend her own attacker? And what was the reason behind Leif's act? Jealousy?

   Doesn't matter. Y/n had to investigate, and the key to the truth was in front of him. And that key couldn't be in worse shape.

   As he stopped asking questions, he quickly noticed how cold it was in the room. Was it really necessary to be in this cold for her? She didn't even have a blanket on!

   The blanket was lying on the floor, next to the bed. His guess was that she may have kicked it off.

   -Dahna -he said, trying to create a sentence.

   Those empty, glass eyes of her moved into Y/n's direction, signalling she listened. Looking into her eyes for too long felt like getting lost in the forest at night. There was no escape.

   -Don't kick the blanket off, please -the male said, and lifted it up from the floor.

   The girl did nothing to stop him from putting it on her again, not even blinked.

   -There, all warm now -he smiled at her.

   There was no truth in that smile, he jut wanted to assure Dahna that everything is going to be okay. It didn't seem to work tough.

   Y/n moved around in the room, looking for a first-aid kit. He needed to change the bandage, immediately. 

   -Don't worry, you won't feel a thing -he said, as he removed the previous bandage.

   Getting Dahna in a sitting position was hard, to be honest. She didn't respond to anything, only looked at him with her light eyes.

   He thought trying to communicate was a good move while he replaced the bandage. Even if he can't get her to talk, there is always tomorrow.

                 --------------
Words: 1096
2022. march 6.
Sorry for not uploading sooner
༎ຶ‿༎ຶ