Mᴇᴍᴏʀʏ ʀᴜsʜ

When his beloved, the man he would kill for every day of the year, if he did just open his mouth to ask, he would do it for his elf without a single hesitation, barged out of the room, he awakened something.

He felt as if something have started circling in the back of his mind, an abrupt thought that was buried deep once, that just decided to emerge again.

Black dots started appearing, clouding his sight, till all he saw was darkness. He sat back down onto the bed, clutching the mattress as hard as he could, hoping this would bring him back down to earth.

It did not work even in the slightest, so Leif just laid down, and hoped it would be over soon. He experienced a lot in the past, it was a common thing, part of his daily routine, and it worked like a clockwork.
He could predict when it was gonna strike, and would build his day around it.

Since he met Y/n, the memory rush that once played a huge role in his life disappeared at instant. Y/n was a special man, there were no others like him throughout the land. Leif felt lucky, when he could just cuddle him in bed, or feel those lips on his own.

                   ---------------

The sun was practically glowing on the sky, and if it was just a tad stronger, it could burn people just with a single touch.

It was the middle of the summer, crops were dying because of the lack of water, and nobody dared to go outside during the day.

It was one of those rare times when Leif's Father was present at home, and the boy couldn't contain his excitement.

In the past few days he stole some paper from his
sister, Edlyn's room, and asked for a pencil from Orsa.

Orsa's reaction was what he expected. She was smiling dearly, and after she ruffled his hair, asked what he was planning on doing with it.

Leif said what he had previously memorized, and left without further explanation.

He looked into the kitchen, and there he was, his Father. He tried not to stare too hard, since his Father would definitely feel it, and would discipline him for misbehaving. After he somewhat memorized how he looked, he quietly walked into his room, and got to work.

Leif grabbed the whitest paper that he found in Edlyn's room, pencil clutched in his hand, he drew the wobbly shape of his Father.

As he progressed with his work, his hands started shaking from the amount of force he put into drawing the man, so he took short breaks.

The boy was never good at drawing, but particularly enjoyed it when he had the chance. He always drew what he saw in front of him, and never tried it with people.

Each time he finished a piece, he would tuck it between the folded clothes in his wardrobe, just to keep it safe if his Father decided to take a visit to his room.

The 12 years old wasn't sure how he would react to such things, but he knew that it would end up being destroyed either way. Leif wasn't even sure why he thought making a portrait for his Father was a good idea. He knew he wouldn't like it.

Maybe it was sheer hope for a smile, or a gentle pat on the shoulder. An encouraging word towards his drawing abilities. A kiss on the forehead. Or perhaps a hug, but it was the least likely to ever happen.

He worked for long hours, before his masterpiece was finished. As he glanced at the little details on his Father's round face, he knew it had to be his best one ever.

Leif proudly brought the paper to his Father, who was calmly sitting on of the sofas with a book in his hand. He glanced at his youngest son for only a moment, when he decided it was enough, and went back to reading.

-Father, I made you something.
-he said with a straight face, since his Father didn't like it when he smiled.

His throat suddenly got as dry as the dryest desert, when the man in front of him took the drawing in his hands. He was a bit anxious, but his hope for a positive reaction outshined the stress.

-Why did you waste a completely good paper for this, Leif? Tell me! -he shouted in his face.

Leif stood straight, eyes painfully shut, prepared for the slap. But nothing arrived. It was quiet.

The boy slowly opened his eye, wondering if his Father had just disappeared, but no, he was still there, listening to something intently. He crumpled the paper in his hand, and threw it to the side.

Leif was confused, as to why the older man decided to do what he just did, and paid no attention to his masterpiece on the floor, all crumpled up.

His Father took a step towards the window, and Leif could just only watch, since his feet frozen to the ground. He couldn't move, nor make a sound.

Not like he wanted to.

As Father got to the window, the boy knew something terrible was going to happen. It was just a feeling, but he knew it didn't lie.

He was right. An arrow shot trough the window, burying itself deep into the man's sculp. A shaky breath left the other's mouth, as he exhaled for the last time, and fell backwards.

Leif jumped away from the fresh corpse, just as it was about to hit him.

His mind only told him one thing that afternoon, and that was to hide as fast as he could, before the Hunters could get to him.

                  ---------------

Light seeped through the darkness, ending the torture. His entire form was shaking uncontrollably, and tears were wetting the bed underneath him.

He wasn't sure how long it took to calm down, since he couldn't think straight, it could have been five minutes, or an hour.

He never had such extreme reactions to memory rushes before, and knew it would be worse the longer he was without his elf.

Since the other half of that faithful day would come too, it was just pure luck he didn't have to suffer through it at once.

He needed to have Y/n by his side.

                ---------------
Words: 1067
2023. jan. 23.