Cʜᴇʏᴇɴɴᴇ

Humans were always so strange whenever they gave her a mission. They would always fidget around, not being able stand still for a minute. Their hands would always travel around them, one second in their pocket, the other somewhere else, not finding their place.

Well, almost every human.

In that insignificant village she was staying less than a month ago, she met someone. He was so clearly not from around, and not from the Empire either. He looked so lost, even when there was a stupid to cover his face.

Cheyenne didn't know how others didn't notice him before, when everything from his clothes to his behavior screamed human.

After a bit of snooping around she found out the human was travelling with two elves, one who he had a strange relationship with, and the other, who was just traumatized to the core by him.

She went up to him when he was taking a walk, and didn't hesitate to talk. Although, she was doing most of the talking.

After that interaction, he quickly left the scene, probably going back to elf. Cheyenne didn't have much time to think about how a human could even sneak into the Empire just like that, or what his intentions really were, she got a job to do.

She travelled to Vestchik with a mission in mind, and that was to plant bombs around the tall, sturdy walls of the city, and blow them up when they give the sign. They paid a pretty good prize for that, she could go decades without having to do one of these jobs again.

Well, it has been weeks and nothing. She figured they were waiting for the right time to strike, but wasting her precious time like that was not the way to do it. Especially when the prices of living went up flying like a scared pigeon.

She figured she could live on the streets for a solid week or two, they will surely give off the sign by then, but the weather was not having it.

It was below freezing cold at the nights, and there were enough people on the streets already.

It was one of those times in the pub that day, when she had met the human for the second time, that masked weirdo.

He came from the second floor, and just stormed straight out the door. Nobody was really paying attention to him, except Cheyenne.

Her keen eyes were on him the moment he appeared at the bottom of the staircase, and followed his figure 'till he left.

The third time was when she was at the market, trying to talk the old woman into giving a discount. Someone bumped into her from behind and they were quick to apologize.

It was that human, and his little elf. The elf looked rather embarrassed and was saying sorry all over the place, but the human was just standing there with that stupid mask on his face. He gave her a rather cold stare, she could feel it in her soul.

-No, no, it's fine, I was in the way -she said, smiling at the elf, while from the corner of her eye she could see an approving nod from the human.

The human and his elf companion quickly left after this, leaving her to wonder why was he so different than the humans she have met.

Maybe the fact that he was spending his time with an elf man was making him stand out from the others.

Or the fact that he was probably not planning an attack on the Empire.

---------------

Ignoring a person who you only live a couple of doors away from is hard, but not impossible.

Y/n wasn't even aware at first of how his friend was avoiding him, spending her time elsewhere. He had tried talking to her but she always found ways to not have to talk to him, and always left pretty early, the elf could never catch her leaving her room in the morning, no matter how many times he tried during the one month that had passed since their arrival.

He spent more time with Kay these past days, and even if their relationship only consisted of Y/n ranting about his life -especially about Leif- and his mixed feelings about everything. She carefully listened to him, but never tried to give actual advice for his problems. She knew he never expected it from her, he just wanted a friend to talk to when life was confusing.

Leif became more attached to him than ever, and most of the time he was snuggling up to him, eager to be right next to him at all times.

It was one of those times, he carefully escaped from the tight hug of Leif after he fell asleep, and he went down to have a talk with Kay about anything that comes to mind.

Except that he didn't expect to see Dahna in the middle of the busy tavern, getting ready to go.

He felt stunned for a few seconds, barely able to move, his heart hammering in newfound excitement.

Dahna gave him a cold look, her eyes being as hollow as they have ever been. Then, as soon as she felt done with the staring, she bolted out of the building in hurry.

-Wait, Dahna! -he yelled, jumping after her after he came to his senses.

But as he arrived outside, the woman was nowhere to be seen.

---------------
Words: 914
2023. april 2.
learning german is difficult :(