Vᴇsᴛᴄʜɪᴋ

As they got to their final destination, they got bombed by all kind of bad news by travelling merchants, and city folks. The country was not safe anymore, as at anytime humans could ambush them, and at the best case leave them with nothing on the road.

Fear started to overtake Y/n's mind, bit by bit, with each horror story. But these were not just stories, it was the cold, dreadful reality. The humans really did decide to take their land, and step on anybody who wasn't gonna bow in front of them.

Kay was a bit shaken up, but she was managing herself just fine.

Dahna was still non-responding, but she was healing in her own speed.

Leif on the other hand was not even a bit fazed by the news, he looked pretty cheered up throughout the whole way. Their little makeout session might have been a key factor in his weird, honestly creepy happiness.

Y/n felt ashamed, he felt like a traitor, betrayer and a back-stabber. But he couldn't lie to his own face, he enjoyed every moment of it. He needed to have Leif close to him, he wanted to feel the man's lips on his body. He desperately carved the other's warmth after a long day, just to be there for him and hold him close, never letting him go.

                 ---------------

As soon as they stepped through the gates of Vestchik, Y/n felt suffocated by the thick walls, and lack of sunlight. He felt as if every breath he took would be the last, because the city was crowded.

As the horses trotted through the busy streets, he felt a hand grasp his own, providing him a feeling of familiarity in the strange city.

Ever since the humans decided to be more active, Vestchik was getting packed with people. They knew that the city was strong enough to withstand any attack, proven by the countless times in history.

Y/n wasn't sure wether they could find a place to sleep at all, given the circumstances. Many people were on the streets, sleeping on the cold pavement, sleeping soundlessly.

But when he looked at Leif, he believed whatever was coming at them, was not a suicidal mission. Probably.

The chariot stopped at a busy looking tavern. Y/n guessed it was their best shot at the moment, and if they have a little bit of luck they could even get two rooms. Well, he'll be glad if they even have one room, just so that Dahna and Kay could sleep in a room, which was a lot safer than sleeping in the chariot.

                 ---------------

As soon as they stepped into the building they were met with a handful of people singing songs about successful battles and crusades. Everyone looked rather delighted in the place, not the kind of emotion the elf expected.

Leif was so close to his side that Y/n kept bumping into him, and saying sorry over and over again. The human found it very amusing seeing his elf mutter a small 'sorry' under his breath ever so often.

But when he wasn't focusing on Y/n, he was thinking back at the last time he had been in a tavern like this. It wasn't that many weeks ago, but it felt like it had been years. And he didn't miss it one bit. It was not a pleasant time, even though he practically lived in one for years, and helped his guardian at work.

He sighed, burying the memories deep inside, never to be opened again.

The bartender was a tall, skinny man, who looked like he hadn't eaten in days, even though he probably had the money to. His business was basically a success, as a ton of people would rather get wasted in a pub and forget everything that happened recently, than to face it. It wasn't time for that yet.

The elf related to that, sometimes forgetting is necessary.

                 ---------------

The man -who kept giving dirty looks at Leif- gave them his last two rooms, at crazy high prices. Y/n felt like he owed to his friend a lot, so paying for a room wasn't that big of a deal. But just as he was about pay, Leif was a tad faster at whipping out the money.

Y/n gave him an annoyed look, but looked away instantly. It was not the time for petty little fights.

After the owner put the coins away with a big smirk on his face, the elf rushed out of the building to get Dahna inside. It was probably a bit cold in the chariot, and there was no time spare.

As he came back, with the doll-like girl in his arms, no one batted an eye. He put her down onto the bed, and put the blanket on her to keep warm.

He felt guilty for leaving Dahna in Kay's care, because he was basically making her babysit her, but someone needed to ensure that the psychopath in the mask outside didn't try to do something stupid.

Y/n started searching for the man, but he was nowhere in the tavern. Worry started to take over him, but he tried to console himself with 'I was only gone for 10 minutes, he can't be far' and 'everything is fine, he just went outside for a walk or something'.

The elf rushed outside, did a few rounds on the street, but he was nowhere to be seen. He just disappeared.

He wasn't sure how much time he spent outside looking for the other, but it was getting late. The night's chill air got through his thin clothes, and made him shiver.

It was time to head back.

Leif would come around tomorrow anyway, where else would he go otherwise? There were no unoccupied places in the entire city, they were lucky to get two, even for the horrifying price.

Y/n started walking back to the tavern to warm up, and get a good night's sleep, until he stopped midway. He felt like someone was watching him, not so far away from him.

But he didn't panic for some reason. He slowly turned around, and was met with familiar brown eyes. Leif returned. His hands were behind his back, hiding something.

-Where were you?-Y/n questioned, not sure wether to be relieved or furious.

Leif moved closer, then showed Y/n what he was holding in hands.

-I got you these- he said proudly, with an innocent smile on his face.

A bouquet of (l/f) flowers, tied together with a red ribbon.

He didn't know what to say, but felt the blush creep onto his cheeks. He wasn't expecting it honestly.

He hesitantly accepted the gift, then placed a small kiss on the other's lips, as a form of gratitude.

"Let's go inside, you look cold" Leif said, noticing how the other was shivering.

                ---------------
Words: 1158
2022. dec. 31.
it's almost new year, i can't-