Chapter One

I trek through the trees, following the welcoming scent of blood. As I get closer, another scent hits the back of my throat, gagging me. This was the scent of death, but there's multiple strands. I stalk closer, getting lower to the ground as I go. The farther I go, the darker my surroundings get as well.

" Nezuko!" I hear a scream.

The air turns thick with fear and I'm slightly startled at the abruptness. I stand up fully and walk slowly, going from tree to tree. I keep going until the stench of death is so clear, it might as well be right in front of me. I climb the big tree that I'm hiding behind and peer through the leaves. In the clearing, there lay a small child with black hair. I open my mouth and a wave of blood rushes down my throat, I quickly clamp my jaw shut. There's also a kid with a sword and a little girl, facing a man that doesn't look like anyone else in the clearing.

Taking a closer look at the girl, she looks abnormal next to the boy. Not to mention she smells different, she smells just like the man. The kids are fighting the man, the one with the sword doing most of the damage. However, the man is slowly but surely regenerating his limbs.

" This demon is tough, we'll have to work together to kill it. It's good practice for teamwork too," the boy whispers to the girl.

The girl nods, then they go their separate ways, one left and one right. I watch with curiosity.  The man, or demon, looks at both of them in turn and then heads straight for the girl. The girl goes to kick the demon, but he stops the kick midair and throws the girl up against a tree. At this, I stand up furiously. I'm not sure why. It's like an invisible force, pulling at me. Begging for me to help the girl.

" Nezuko!" I hear the same scream.

Are they siblings? Not to mention, why does the girl have a bamboo muzzle? The boy swings his sword and water blasts out of nowhere. The demon dodges it easily and grabs the boy's sword with his hands. Picking up the boy, the man spins in circles, spinning the boy with him. Eventually, the boy is sent flying and he lands with a hard thump on the ground. The demon stalks up to the kid in the clearing. He bends over and reaches for the child's throat, going in for the kill. Suddenly, the girl lunges with great speed and takes a swipe at the demon's arm, cutting it clean off. Blood gushes out of the wound and pools onto the soft green grass. The sweet scent rushes down my throat once again and I drool at the thought of devouring the warm liquid. Snapping out of my phase, I spot the girl protecting the child against someone she can't win a fight in. She's directly under the tree I'm hiding in.

Help her.

I snap my head up and examine my surroundings. There's no one there...so who just spoke? I look back down frantically.

" Just let me eat the kid! I mean come on you're a demon just like me! We can share even," the demon says with a wicked smile.

The girl shakes her head angrily and continues to stand in front of the kid.

Help her! 

This time, just as the demon is about to swipe at the girl, I jump down in front of her. The demon strikes my forearms and then backs off promptly. I stand up tall and glare at him threateningly. My tail brushes the grass back and forth as I stare him down. He looks bewildered and frightened. He also smells scared. There's a pause as he inspects me cautiously, head to toe.

" What are you?" the demon whispers, " you smell like a demon... but you evidently aren't one."

I can feel the girl's eyes burning a hole in the back of my head. I don't know what I'm doing and she doesn't either.

" Your arms weren't even cut," the demon's eyes widen in shock and he backs away a few more steps in terror.

Should they have been? I've got to kill this creature before it hurts the girl. I know I'm fast, so if I can get behind the demon without it knowing, it'll be an easy victory.