Chapter 40

I make it back to the Butterfly Mansion mid-day. Shinobu had been waiting for me.

" Did you meet Arukawa?" she asks.

I had glare at her, suddenly realizing what she had done.

" I thought it'd be nice for me to meet other people or demon slayers around your age," she tries to reason with me as she saw my face change.

" Well it wasn't," I spit.

I push past her and she calls out to me.

" Rei's here!"

I ignore her and make my way to my room. As I walk, I begin to hear rapid footsteps and eventually they get louder.

" Aku!" I hear Rei's voice, " wait up!"

I quicken my pace, not wanting to speak to her. I'm hungry.

" Hey!"

" I don't want to talk Rei," I sigh.

" But I wanted to ask you about Arukawa!"

So it was a complete set up. I pause reluctantly and wait for her to catch up.

" Are you guys friends now?" She asks excitedly.

" As if. I don't need more friends," I scoff.

" But it's healthy! It's good for you to have multiple relationships. That's why I recommended Arukawa to Shinobu because he's like Tanjiro..."

" Of course it was you. Rei, you should have asked, I wanted to have a normal mission. I guess that wouldn't have happened anyway..." I trail off, remembering Akaza.

" What do you mean?"

I drag her into my room and make sure no one's listening.

" Akaza, from the train, showed up," I whisper.

She gasps, her face turning to shock.

For some reason, I feel like I could tell her this. I don't want Tanjiro to know because he may look at me differently, but I don't care as much about the relationship Rei and I have.

" He wants me to become a full demon. He wanted me to meet the Demon Lord and receive blood from him."

" What happened after you said no?"

Bold assumption of her, but I guess she isn't wrong.

" He promised me that I'd be leaving with him next time he shows up. No matter what. He left shortly after," I answer reluctantly.

" Well, I guess we'll just have to fight him next time," Rei says, putting her hands on her hips, " anyways, I'll leave you be now. And I won't tell anyone so don't worry."

I nod, appreciating her silence. Once she leaves I remove the blood from my blades and hold them over my head, allowing the liquid to seep into my mouth. I swallow slowly and gratefully. I've noticed lately that I've actually been getting hungry. I'm not eating just to gain strength anymore, I'm eating because I need to. Honestly, this worries me and makes me kind of believe what Akaza had said. What if I do end up hurting someone I care about?

Two months have passed since the encounter with Akaza. For the most part, I was training, however, sometimes I would be let out on solo missions. These were missions any ranking demon slayer could accomplish due to their simplicity, but I was grateful that I had a chance to eat with the absence of other people. Today, I'm just getting back to the Butterfly Mansion after a two day trip. The demon was one that couldn't even talk, let alone survive one slash. To be honest, I was kind of disappointed.