33

I stare in shock as Tanjiro stands up.

" Oh no, what did I do?" he exclaims.

He bows repeatedly saying that he's sorry and that he didn't mean for that to happen. I stare at the man unconscious at his feet, mouth open wide. The boy assures Tanjiro that it's alright and that he had it coming and I try hard not to smile as I watch drool dribble out of the man's mouth.

" Would you like to come inside for tea?" the boy asks.

" Um... I'm not sure if we'd be welcomed from what just happened," I answer.

" Oh no, it's alright. Plus, I'd like to show Tanjiro the book."

" The book?" I ask curiously.

" Yes," he says, leading us into his home, " and it may have some information on your breathing technique as well Aku, if it isn't a blood demon art."

" Well it isn't because I'm not a demon," I answer firmly.

Tanjiro and I kneel next to each other in a room as the boy goes to get some tea. He returns and I realize that I forgot I probably can't have tea.

The boy pours three cups and I reach out to take mine, not wanting to reject the drink. Smiling nervously, I take a sip. The liquid tastes weird...it takes how I imagine grass to taste. I mean it's horrible, but I don't want to seem disrespectful so I swallow it. Trying hard not to make a weird face, I rest the cup on my knee.

" Thank you by the way," the boy suddenly speaks, " I could never talk back when my father badmouthed my brother."

This boy wears the same smile as Rengoku had.

Tanjiro then goes on to explain the flame hashira's last moments in detail. Once he had finished, silence fell upon the room.

" He...was a good man and a great demon slayer," I whisper.

" That's good to hear...as well as that he was valiant until the end..."

He pauses.

" Thank you," the boy bows, touching his forehead to the ground.

Tanjiro gasps and bows as well.

" Oh no...please, forgive me for not being able to save him," he says solemnly.

I bow as well, reading the room.

" And forgive me for not being able to fight alongside him during that fight."

" Please don't worry about it," the boy says, voice cracking and tears forming in is eyes.

I lift my head and watch him cry, offering no support. I'm not sure how to comfort him, yet I can be sympathetic.

" Right, the book," he sighs standing up, wiping his eyes after a moment.

Tears fall to the floor as he walks away and Tanjiro suddenly pokes me.

" Have you ever heard of Sun Breathing?" he asks.

" I'm afraid not. It seems like no one from my village knew about it either. Maybe my father did, but he didn't mention it...that I know of," I reply.

It's a shame that I'm not of more use, I'd love to help Tanjiro.

" Well if you learn of anything, please let me know."

We wait in the room for the boy to come back and when he does, he's carrying a brown book.

" This is a book that my father often read, something he said rang a bell," the boy states.