Chapter 53

It's been four whole weeks since my first night training with the Stone Pillar. Since then, Rei showed up and only one day later, Arukawa made it as well. Nine days ago Inosuke began his training and Zenitsu dragged himself in shortly after. Tanjiro has been here for six days. I must admit, it's nice to see them and hear their voices again. The Stone Hashira isn't exactly the best company, though I do appreciate his seriousness.

" Aku! Come watch me push the rock!" Tanjiro beckons me over.

I stand up and approach him, crossing my arms. He proceeds to plant both hands on the boulder and push. The boulder drags dirt and grass with it as it moves and Tanjiro has a wide smile on his face.

" Can you push it too?" he asks, stepping away from the rock.

" Of course I can, I'm part demon. My training was a little different though, I never had to push a rock through a town," I reply.

" You didn't?"

" Nope. I had to push it up a hill while the Stone Hashira was throwing rocks at my head."

He stares at me blankly and then laughs.

" How did the other Hashira react?"

" Surprisingly well...other than the serpent Hashira."

I wasn't able to speak to Tanjiro since the six days he's been here due to him being quite busy.

" He didn't like me much either," my friend laughs.

Just then the Stone Hashira walks up to us.

" Aku, come with me," he orders.

I wave goodbye to Tanjiro and walk off with him.

" What's going on?" I ask, confused.

" We need to talk."

Once we're far enough away, he stops with his back to me.

" If it comes to it, you are the perfect opponent to go against the Demon King because of your regeneration. We believe that cutting off his head will not kill him, so in that case he needs to be killed by the sun. You're the best bet when it comes to that," he explains, fists clenched.

" Alright."

" Now, come with me."

He runs off into the trees and I follow, keeping pace with him. I don't ask where we're going.

We reach a mansion that I've never seen before and the scent of blood hits the air. Black needles are sticking out of the ground and the Stone Hashira leaps forwards, swinging his spiked flail at a man's head. Blood spatters the ground as the head pops off easily. What's happening?

My mouth hangs wide in shock. Is that Muzan?

In a second, his head regenerates and he raises his hand to shoot out vines that are covered in spikes. The Stone Pillar brushes off the assaults. The other Hashira rush out of the trees and we all go attack at the same time. Suddenly, the floor opens up beneath us and we topple down into separate rooms.

I'm so confused as to what's happening.

" Like I would let you corner me!" I hear Muzan's voice shout.

I quickly scan my new surroundings. This place is similar to the house with the drums... I catch the scent of the Mist Pillar and track it through the labyrinth. A demon bursts through the wall and I flip in the air to dodge it, landing on one foot, slicing its head off easily. I stand up and continue running. I turn a corner and five or six demons are waiting.

" I don't have time for this!" I hiss.

Blood Breathing, Second Form: Cold blooded.

The demons halt in their spots and I quickly run through them, cutting off their necks as I go. Blood splatters my clothing and I absorb it into my blade, reinforcing it. The scent leads through a wall so I crash through it. Wood splinters and falls to the ground.

Next to me is a taller man with long hair. He turns to me slowly, revealing a face covered in eyes. I leap towards the Mist Pillar and land next to him, sliding a little further back.

" I'll be your shield," I whisper to him.

In an instant, he lunges forwards attacking with a form of his breathing technique. Mist hides a good portion of the room and the Hashira attacks again.

The demon just stands still, with no signs of him being hurt. He goes to pull out his sword and I rush forwards, pushing the Mist Hashira out of the way. A crescent shaped attack slices off my arm and I land on the ground.

The Mist Pillar jumps out from behind me, attacking with a long-ranged form, then disappears once again.

" You two are quite the pair...abusing the gift that our master gave you..." the demon glares at me.

Blood Breathing, Eight Form: total blood control.

The blood on the ground shoots into spikes aimed at our enemy. I rush forwards, low to the earthe and raise my sword.

Blood Breathing, Fifth Form: rising blood moon.

The demon counters my attacks and I quickly realize that he's about to use a breathing technique of his own.

Blood Breathing, Seventh Form: Dispersal.

I avoid his attacks and move behind him, but he whips around. My eyes widen in shock and I bend backwards to dodge his attack, quickly jumping back after standing up. I give a nervous side-eye to my arm. Why hasn't it regenerated?

My eyes follow the demon's blade as he returns his focus to the Mist Pillar.

It's nichirin? I gasp and shove the handle of my sword into my mouth. I grab my shoulder and yank it out with a popping noise.

For the first time in a fight, I can't get hit. I'm panicking a little if I'm being honest.

The whole arm heals and I form my second blade. I look up to find the Mist Hashira stuck in the wall by a blade and sprint over to help him.

" Genya!" he screams.

I change course seeing that the Mist Pillar is no longer a target. I lunge at the demon and swing, but he blocks both attacks with his forearms. The blood dripping down my arms gives me an idea. On the other end of the handles, I form new blades and make the first two vanish. With this, the demon leaps back out of the range of my swords.

" How troublesome. You remind me of Upper Six," he grunts.

Just then, a familiar shape leaps up from behind him and attacks. A massive gust of wind is sent my way and I shield Genya from it.

I pick up the body and drop it next to the Mist Pillar. First, I yank the sword out of his shoulder and then change priority to the man beneath me.

" You eat demons and regenerate, yes?" I ask tightly.

" Y-yes."

I open my mouth wide and dig into my wrist with my teeth. My bones crunch and my hand drops to the ground in front of Genya's face. Blood gushes out for a moment before my hand regenerates.

" Eat it."

I look back to see the Wind Hashira and the demon fighting one on one. The Pillar blocks the demon's breathing technique with his own, but it seems like he's losing. Just as I'm about to go help the Hashira, a wide-ranged attack shoots at him, slicing his entire body. He stands still, blood rushing out of his wounds. A sweet scent hits the air and it feels like I've been hit over the head. I drop to my knees and grasp my ears. What the hell?