Chapter 28

" So you did try and escape then," he says, narrowing his eyes.

" Try? Nah, we're going to," I respond, raising my blades.

At this time, they're still attached to my arms so I grab one and yank it out. The left will be my shield and the right will be my weapon for attack.

I pull out the mask that Kagaya gave to me and place it on my face, wrapping the string behind my ears

" No, pesky humans can't kill a demon Aku, regardless of how strong they, or their breathing technique, may be."

I want to see if I can defeat this demon without my breathing technique, but I don't think that this is a possibility. Surely, the lower moon one is very powerful. I'm not even one hundred percent sure if I can beat him, but I'll still try. There's no way I'll give up now, I have to be strong to protect those I care for.

I lunge at the demon, blade at my side. His eyes widen in shock, as if he was expecting me to be slower.

Blood breathing, second form, cold blooded.

This causes the demon to stop in his tracks right before my swing, so I could ensure a direct hit since it doesn't last that long. I'm about to swing, but a huge force pushes me back and to my surprise, the rings around his head are still turning.

Stumbling, I regain my balance as the second form wears off. What in the world just happened? He shouldn't have been able to move! The rings shift across his face and turn more vertically. Rocks and stones rise above the ground, seemingly floating. Proceeding that, the demon laughs and his two eyes widen. Before I know it, the stones are hurtling towards me at a speed I couldn't quite react to. I raised my sword a second too late and a jagged rock embeds itself in my arm, causing me to lose feeling for a moment. I use my other blade to chop the rest of the stones into smaller pieces to avoid being hit. Blood trickles down my arm and I yank out the rock, causing crimson liquid to gush out and spill onto the road.

" Haha! Just like I said human! You can't beat me, so just give in!"

An explosion erupts from somewhere to my left and that distracts my foe for a split second, allowing me to attack once again. This time, without using a breathing technique, I keep low to the ground and swing in a flash, slicing the demon's legs off.

He howls and again the same invisible force, but much stronger this time, pushes me back.

" How dare you!" he shouts angrily, " I was going to go easy on you! But you just tried to actually kill me, didn't you?"

" Of course I did, I'm a demon slayer. That's my entire job idiot!" I hiss.

My ribs are sore and I don't know why. I can't fight someone if I don't know what technique they're using! Giant spikes split out of the ground and I jump upwards to dodge them, but I didn't notice the smaller ones rotating around the demon's head until they were being flung at me. I use my sword to block them once again, but I can smell their directions changing midair as I land sloppily on a rooftop.

" You must die now! I don't care what master wants, you HAVE TO DIE!"

My eyes widen as the spikes shoot towards me again. Doing a backflip, I land on the ground. I'm not losing enough blood, so maybe I'll let one hit me. I reach out my arm towards one of the medium sized ones and let it hit me then pull it out immediately after. To dodge the rest, I jump into the air and twist my body around the spikes. They thud on the ground and I feel a cold hand on my face as I land, forcing me into the dirt. The earth breaks around me as an immense force pushes down on my body.

My head pounds as the hand lets go and raises for a punch. I harden the skin on my face and slam my forehead into the demon's fist, causing it to burst. Blood spills over my face and his knee lifts off of my arm. The demon leaps backwards, which he shouldn't have been able to do considering gravity...

Gravity! That's it! His blood demon art allows him to manipulate the gravity around him by using those rings!

" If that's true, me fighting him won't do a thing. I can't do long distance attacks," I mumble, standing up.

" If what's true?"

I look up to see a ball above my head and the demon standing next to it. Not letting me answer, he drops the ball onto me. I don't have time to escape, so I must use a breathing technique.

Third form, crimson tide!

Slicing the ball in half, I turn sideways into the space I had created so the rock doesn't land on me. Leaping up in between the walls I land on the top of the ball, one hand on the ground.

" I've got you all figured out now," I whisper menacingly.

" That doesn't matter! So what if you know what I can do? You still have to beat me!"

" It'll be easier now that I know what to avoid," I say.

That just means stay away from aerial attacks. It's true though, I'm fighting against gravity. Gravity is something no one can beat no matter your strength. So maybe...

" The rings control your blood demon art, correct? Can they grow back?"

The demon just stares at me.

" And the fact that you can't just throw me around... you can't manipulate the gravoty surrounding living things either!"

My speed will be an advantage in this fight, meaning I should activate the first form of blood breathing: adrenaline rush. To do so, I keep my breathing in a six, three, five pattern around seven times. I can feel my body adapt to this and adrenaline flows through my veins.

" You made a mistake," I say, " you aren't supposed to let an enemy prepare their attack."

The demon moves in slow motion as I reach him in a split second, turning my left blade into my weapon. The sword makes contact with the demon's neck and I press forwards until I hear a snap. I'm a few steps behind the demon as his body gets pushed into the ground. The scent of demon blood pierced the air and I retract my blades.

" That was easy," I say as the first form wears off.

Too easy though.

He is right...

I'm dwelling on this fact... there's no way that this demon was a lower moon...

I turn around to face the demon's corpse, but something hard hits me square in the ribs instead and suddenly I'm flung into the air.

ARC: Hey everyone! I noticed my reads have been dropping, and I was wondering if there was something I could do to make the story more interesting? Idrc about how many reads I get, I'm just worried people drop the story because it's boring (which I really don't want) 😅

I want people to enjoy the story and not get bored

Soooo if you have suggestions please let me know!