Chapter 37

I passed the time watching the two new people and Tanjiro interact, not adding much to the conversation. They mostly talk about their training and demons that they've defeated. Tanjiro ha also mentioned Rengoku's death, which had upset Haruto. Arukawa seemed jealous that we got to meet and work with the Flame Hashira, though it was only for his last mission.

I still believe that if I had just worked harder, I could have helped. If I could have just been stronger and not hesitated...Rengoku might still be alive. I wish I could go back in time and fix it. I wish I could fix everything, including the death of my sister.

" Aku?" Tanjiro asks.

I blink slowly, looking up at him.

" Do you agree?"

" H-huh? Wi-with what?" I ask, startled.

" With Arukawa coming along with us?" Tanjiro chuckles.

" C-coming with us?" I question, worried, " I... I thought this was gonna be our mission?"

" Uh...I know I said that...it's just I thought it'd be nice..."

I stare at him, the silence growing obnoxiously loud.

" Whatever I guess," I say, standing up, " I'm going to go get some fresh air."

Walking out of the restaurant I can hear Tanjiro calling after me, but he doesn't follow.

I thought this was supposed to be a normal mission together, not a "meeting new people and changing the plan" mission. I know it may be selfish, but I wanted to spend time with Tanjiro alone. Why does Arukawa have to come along? What if Tanjiro decides that he likes Arukawa more than me? What if he leaves me behind...?

I shake my head to clear my mind. Looking up into the sky I can see that there's around an hour before nightfall. Sighing and sitting down, I use the wall to prop myself up, hugging my knees in tight.

There's too much going on now days. Excessive new information is being piled ontop of me at once and the first chance I get to go on a rather normal mission, it's ruined by Arukawa. I bury my face in my legs and close my eyes.

" I don't have to go with you guys if you don't want me to," I hear a voice.

This causes me to lift my head and then narrow my eyes once I see who's speaking.

" I just thought it'd be nice to go on a mission with other people for once," Arukawa smiles awkwardly.

I simply glare at him without responding.

" It's Aku, right?" He asks, sitting down next to me.

Shifting away, I nod.

" I heard you know Rei?"

This peaks my interest.

" I did the final selection with her. I've got to say, she's pretty incredible. Kind of like Mitsuri," he laughs, " though they can both be pretty annoying sometimes."

I stare at his face, recognizing his smile. It's just like the one Tanjiro has, bright and kind. I'm not sure wether I like this or if it unsettles me.

" Anyways, I hope we can get along in the future, but I don't wanna force you into anything. Apparently you're weary around newer people."

" Yes," I finally speak up, " who told you that?"

" Tanjiro. Plus I know people who have heard of you. I've gotta say your Breathing Technique is pretty cool! Especially since you can actually injure it!"

" Thanks," I respond.

" Please do think about letting me join this mission with you guys. I promise it'll just be for this one," he sighs and stands up, leaving me alone once again.