Chapter 18

Almost as if Zenitsu didn't see what I looked like, he slowly turns his head in my direction. I look up and find him staring at me in complete shock.

" It's a demon!" he screams, pointing at me and cowering behind his pillow.

" I'm not really a demon," I sigh.

" B-"

As Zenitsu is about to speak he's interrupted by Tanjiro, stepping in the room. He stops in his tracks briefly when he sees me, then resumes his actions. 

" It's just Aku," Tanjiro explains, lying down.

" He looks like a demon!" Zenitsu wails.

" I am technically part demon," I decide to say.

Tanjiro's head snaps towards me, looking for an explanation. I guess I'll give him the short version.

" My father was a demon and my mother was a human. I was born human and then my father used is abilities to mess around with my atoms and dna, turning me into what I am today."

" When did you figure this out?" Tanjiro asks, jaw open.

" Two days ago," I answer.

Nothing else is said on the matter. It's like no one wants to voice their opinion, but I can tell they are uneasy about it. I look to the ground and twirl my thumbs. Maybe I shouldn't have said anything. 

Four girls walk into the room holding bandages and ointments. They get to work and wrap up our wounds. Once their done, the one in the uniform glares at me.

" You are to come with me. Lady Shinobu is to run some tests," she states, spinning away.

I stand up and follow her to a separate room in the mansion. She stops at the door and opens it for me. I bow my head and walk into the room where Shinobu is waiting.

" I was told by Tanjiro that you can look human?" she asks.

" Yes, but I'm unable to return to that form and I don't know why," I answer cautiously.

I'm afraid she'll stab me again.

" Sit."

I walk up to the bed she's next to and sit down gingerly. She has an array of needles and small knives. She picks up the largest blade and cleans it. She then proceeds to prod me with it, not quite breaking skin.

" I'm going to test your regenerative properties," she says.

She doesn't wait for my answer as she cuts my arm with the knife, causing me to wince. I can feel blood trickle down my skin and hear it dripping on the floor. She stares intently.

" You were telling the truth..." she trails off.

I take a look at where the cut should be and notice that it's not there. She seems disappointed at her words, as if she was wanting me to have lied. She then pulls out a syringe and grabs the same arm, inserting it into one of my veins. The glass part fills up with my blood and she puts the syringe down.

" Leave," she instructs.

I walk out of the room in confusion and spot the three small girls waiting for me.

" Follow us," one of them says.

They take me to a separate room and shut the door.

I'm left by myself in the dark. My stomach rumbles. What is with Shinobu? She acts so nice, but in reality she's very rude. Is she just like this to me, because I'm not human?

Days pass and every morning it's the same routine. I go and get blood taken by Shinobu then I get stuck in this room. It's not very pleasant and I'm eagerly waiting until I can go outside again. My legs are weak and my stomach is hollow. A knock comes at the door right on schedule.