Chapter 39

" Go ahead before me!" Tanjiro says quickly.

I nod and pick up speed. Just as I turn the corner to where the scent is the strongest, I see Arukawa searching for something. In the darkness, I can barely spot a spiked whip flying towards him. Panic rises in my chest as I call out to him.

" Move!" I yell, surprising myself.

I can tell that he won't move out of the way in time, so I lung at him and push him to the ground. A sharp feeling pierces my chest and blood gushes to the floor. The spike tears out of my back and stumble backwards, bringing my hand to my chest. My heart beats hard as I rest my arms on my knees.

Arukawa stares up at me in shock and fear. His face seems lost and he's covered in my blood. I turn my head as I feel an odd presence and form my blades, blocking some sort of weapon. It wraps around my sword and easily snaps it in half because it was weakly formed.

" You okay?" I ask Arukawa as the wound in my chest begins to close.

I have no clue why I took the hit for him, maybe because I knew I'd live and he wouldn't. Not to mention that Tanjiro would be angry if I let a "fellow demon slayer" die.

" Y-you j-ju-just...what...?" he stammers, confused.

" Haruto may have been partially right," I sigh.

" Aku! Where is it?" Tanjiro slides around the corner.

" No clue! It attacked and then left!"

He stares at me, noticing the wound.

" It'll heal. We'll just have to tell Arukawa the truth I guess," I answer his silent question.

" T-the truth...?"

I turn to Arukawa and stare at him.

" Of what I am."

" Let's spread out!" Tanjiro orders.

I nod and sprint in the direction behind Arukawa. I have no clue where the other two went, but for now I'll focus on my part. I try to pin point the scent of the demon, but it's very difficult. Its attack patterns are unusual as well. The demon went for Arukawa and then left almost right after I showed up. This whole town is weird.

" Found you," someone hisses from the shadows.

I stop and search the darkness, wondering where I know that voice from and why the demon scent is so potent. A man steps out from the shadows and I take a step back, shocked at the sight before me.

The demon with the pink hair from the train stands with a male human in his grasp.

" It's been a while since we talked," he grins.

I don't speak, just stare.

" I still can't believe what you had done back then. What happened after you ingested my blood?"

He knows, doesn't he? He must know that I'm more of a demon than I was.

" You're stronger, right? Are you hungry?" he effortlessly tosses the human at me.

" I don't eat humans," I spit.

I know that Akaza is stronger than me. I have zero chance of winning a fight if we were to battle.

" Oh but you will. You have my master's blood in you, you know- Aku. It's only a matter of time before you turn on your friends," he hisses as he smugly smiles.

" I won't turn on them. I'm not like you," I answer.

" You're a demon now. Why don't you come with me? Master can make you strong...stronger than anyone you could wish to beat in a fight."