Chapter 56

Dark spots fill my vision as I stare up at the roof. I can tell that I'm slowly bleeding out. A burning sensation fills my chest and the Stone Hashira stands over me.

I won't be able to see Tanjiro and Nezuko live a normal life...I won't even be there when they kill the Demon Lord. Tears form at my eyes as I realize that I've failed my mission. I can't protect them anymore...it's over for me.

Maybe it's for the best though, after all there can't be a demon-free world so long as I'm living. I just hope that the Corps can beat the final demon.

" Can you tell something to Tanjiro?" I murmur, my breathing ragged.

" Anything," the Stone Hashira replies.

" Tell him that I'm sorry I wont be there to witness the rest of his life....that I'm sorry I broke our promise. I know the Corps will win this war, so I hope that he lives a happy life after it's all over. He made me feel a part of his family and I thank him for showing me what it's like to have friends and people who care about me. Without him, I'd still be in that forest, wandering without purpose...but because I met him I had the honour of laying down my life for a good cause. Because of him, my death isn't meaningless but a step forward for the humankind. Thank him for showing me what it's like to be human again."

I shift my gaze to the Hashira in front of me. He cries silent tears. I swallow hard, the steady flow of blood still trickling out of my mouth. I smile knowingly.

" And for Nezuko. Tell her I'm grateful she never changed the way she looked at me, no matter how human I appeared. Tell her to protect her brother and to live a great human life..." I whisper, " and that I'm sorry I won't be there to watch her enjoy it.

I can feel the strength leaving my body and I close my eyes again. I didn't want to die just yet, I wanted to be there to ensure those two lives that I care for so deeply...but it seems fate didn't want it that way.

I didn't live the rest of my life as my father wanted me to, I wasn't just someone's weapon...a tool for destruction. I fought for something I wanted to and in the end, I will have died for my allies as well as the people I care about. My father may have tried to make me into something I'm not, but he failed.

My name is Aku and I'm a member of the Demon Slayer Corps. I've killed many demons and I survived until the final battles. I'm human, not some monster.

Goodbye Tanjiro and Nezuko...may we meet in another life.

ARC: Hello my readers! That's the end of this fanfic, I hope you enjoyed :)

I will be re-writing because I feel I've improved my skills and I would like to make this fanfic better (give Aku more character development and just a better overall plot line).

You all mean a lot to me and your support is very much appreciated. Thank you to those who stuck with me since the beginning and I love you all :)

Also...would anyone like to be a beta reader for the re-write since you guys know the whole story.