Chapter 48

" Oh I don't think it matters if it's fair," one of them grins.

I step in front of Nezuko and Tanjiro to insure their safety.

" You can't protect them!" the demon with wings laughs as he hurls himself at me.

I raise my sword as a bluff, but instead I duck under his body and grab his foot, slamming him into the ground then driving my sword into his neck. His body and head lay on the ground, slowly regenerating.

How do I kill them? Is it like the situation before with the other Upper Moon?

The one with the fan attacks next, but I simply allow it to hit me since if I had moved, Tanjiro and Nezuko would've been in the crossfire. Tiny little cuts leak blood all over my body. I notice that Nezuko's awake and holding on to the sword in the demon's neck.

" What are you doing?" I hiss, seeing her blood drip to the ground.

Moments later the blade is ignited in a pink flame. She then pulls herself out of the rubble and picks up Tanjiro, nodding at me. Finally, I understand. The weight of having to worry about those two has been lifted off of my shoulders and I'm free to attack. Leaping forwards, baiting an attack from the lightning demon, I point my sword directly at the fan demon. As expected, the lighting demon attacks and electricity ripples through the air.

Blood Breathing, Seventh Form: Dispersal.

I pass through the air and it seems like time slows.

Blood Breathing, First Form: Adrenaline rush.

I re-appear and instantly slash the neck of the fan demon, his head rolling off his shoulders and thumping on the ground. I spin midair to dodge the attack of the lightning demon and land with one foot on the ground.

" Sucks to know that your attack won't harm me, doesn't it?" I tease.

He takes a step back.

" You shouldn't be able to beat us!" he says furiously.

Blood Breathing, Second Form: Cold blooded.

I waste no time after the paralyzation and spring forwards, driving my hand into his stomach and my sword through his neck. Blood pools on the floor as the body crumples to the ground. I pull my hand out of his chest and lick the blood. It's weaker than Akaza's.

" Why aren't you dying?" I ask, noticing that they aren't evaporating.

" As if we'd tell you!" one of them shouts.

I look back to see Nezuko still holding Tanjiro. His eyes are open and he's staring at the wreckage.

" They didn't die even though they were all beheaded," I inform him, walking over.

" There was four," he stands up after brushing Nezuko off, " Genya was dealing with that one."

He points at a demon slayer standing with a head in his hand.

" Well it looks they were all cut off," I mumble.

Just then, Genya turns to us, eyes black and drool dripping out of his mouth. He looks like a demon...What happened?

" Unless there's another body," I stare at Tanjiro as he says this.

That would make a lot of sense.

Suddenly, a hand wraps around Tanjiro's neck.

" Don't push your luck!" Genya wheezes, " I will beat the Upper Moon!"

I angle my blade at his neck, but Tanjiro gives me a look. I don't move my sword, but as long as he doesn't harm Tanjiro I won't cut his head off.

" I'll kill this demon and become a Pillar!" he screams in Tanjiro's face, drool flying everywhere.

" Oh alright! Sounds good! Us three will help you out as much as we can!" Tanjiro smiles.

I look at him in confusion.

" Oh well, you see a demon slayer can become a Hashira by either meeting a certain quota. Genya wants to kill this Upper Moon so he can become a Pillar!" Tanjiro explains joyfully.

I blink slowly, not really understanding as to why Tanjiro would give up such an opportunity.

" I'll locate the fifth demon so you three buy me some time!" Tanjiro orders.

I nod.

" Watch out!" Tanjiro shouts, pushing us both out of the way of an attack by the lightning demon, " don't worry, I'll let you know as soon as I find the body!"

The bird demon lunges at Tanjiro and I move instantaneously, smashing my fist into his rib cage. Bones crack as he tumbles out of the way. The fan demon attacks and a heavy gust of wind heads straight for us. It sends Tanjiro flying and I dig my blades into the ground to keep myself from moving. Nezuko had rotated to the side of the lightning demon, springing towards him with her hands outstretched. The fourth demon, in a flash, impales her her with his weapon and pushes her against a tree.

Tanjiro heads for the lightning demon so I go for the fan demon. Just as he goes to swing, I use the second form in my breathing style. It only works for a second, but that was enough to stall his attack. I leap into the air, waiting for him to swing once again but this time he waits. When I hit the ground he comes at me with a heavy swing. I plant one hand on the ground and back flip out of the way.

His attack leaves a leaf-shaped imprint in the earth.

" Where'd the fourth one go?!" I ask, alarmed after quickly scanning the scene.

The scent goes into the forest, where Genya is. I jump backwards and turn to the trees, sprinting to them. I know Tanjiro and Nezuko can handle themselves for now, but Genya has no idea that another demon is coming after him. I also know that Tanjiro cares for the other demon slayer, for some odd reason, so saving his life is a must. Running through the woods and leaping between trees, I spot Genya and the fourth demon. I lunge forwards and push Genya out of the way. The weapon pierces my back and blood spatters to the ground. I drive my swords into the ground and spin, kicking the demon away. Wincing, I pull his weapon out of my body and heal the wound.

" Go find the fifth body! I'll deal with this guy."

Genya looks at me weirdly...he looks defeated.

" I...can't. You have to cut his head off, I can't."

" What?" I ask, shocked, " why not?"

" I'm not strong enough. My blade broke when I tried."

I toss him one of my swords.

" If you believe that you can't, you never will. This is your job Genya, you've got this."

He returns my previous shocked look, his face softening. I smile awkwardly. Lets just hope that he can actually kill the final body.

ARC: Guys Guys! I'm so excited I just finished the book cover for when I re-write this so I can change a few things! Also it's mostly cause I find some of the chapters cringy here and there lol! Anyways, thanks for reading!