Chapter 43

I sit up, gasping for air. My muscles are stiff and the evening sun burns my eyes.

How long was I asleep?

I look around to find that I'm in a cave with the opening pointing to the sun. I lift my hand to block out the light and stand up, walking towards the outside.

I stop abruptly, remembering what had happened. I stare at my hands as they begin to shake.

Right...I'm a demon now...

My thoughts are still unorganized, but I do vaguely remember finding another demon. My stomach feels full so I must have eaten it.

Gingerly, I reach my hand out into the light, closing my eyes tight. I feel the warmth hit my skin and I wince, but it doesn't burn. Opening my eyes once again, I step outside slowly, not knowing if it'll be the same case when my whole body's in the sun. I stand for a moment, hands balled up in fists at my side.

Why aren't I burning? Tanjiro had mentioned that demons can only be killed by two things: nichirin blades and the sun...so why aren't I dying?

I feel pretty alright too. Nothing feels off and it seems as if my body mostly stayed the same. I look over my shoulder quickly to see if I have a tail again and I do. It swishes as I walk forwards.

I need to find Tanjiro...I need to let him know what happened. I know that this would be the best choice, but I'm hesitant. What if he sees me as an enemy? What if he hates me? I don't think I could bare someone I care about hating me, it would be greatly upsetting...

Even though I know all of the possible consequences, I still continue forwards. Nezuko is a demon, so maybe he'll react the same way to me if I show him that inside, I'm still the same person. Tanjiro is kind and sympathetic...

I wander for hours and the sun is now set. The moon rose and it illuminates the forest and the path I'm walking. I have no sense of direction, but the faint scent of human blood looms in the air. Though I'm not sure whether it's my stomach or brain that's leading me, I track this scent.

The closer I get to the source of the smell, the more I long to consume this person's blood. However, I hold on to the mental image of Tanjiro, Nezuko and the others. It keeps me sane and focused, which I'm grateful for. I quicken my pace once I notice a powerful lingering scent. It smells like a demon, but more pungent than the two Lower Moon Ones that I fought and is weaker than Akaza's scent.

...

Akaza.

...

I'm going to kill that demon next time we meet. He gave me no other choice than to become something like him. He killed dozens of innocent families and was going to kill Rei and Arukawa.

I shake my head to clear my mind and begin to run. The scent of human blood accumulates as I reach a broken-down gate. Stepping through the rubble, dread forms a lump in my stomach. The sight before me is brutal: there's nothing left of whatever this place was. Tanjiro's scent is mixed in with all of the smoke and blood. Panic rises in my throat as I track him.

With all of this blood...could he be...dead? I don't know what I'd do if he were dead...I would have failed the one thing that I was supposed to do; protect my family.

" Everyone but you is probably dead!" I hear a scratchy voice through the crackle of flames.

I slow down and quickly use the second state of the First Form in my Breathing Technique. This one slows down my heartbeat and hides my scent from weaker demons.

" I killed that boar with a single thrust to the heart!" the demon shouts.

He must be an Upper Moon with that powerful aura he's giving off. This demon has black hair with green tips and he's very skinny. I can see every single one of his bones protruding from under his pale and sickly skin. Up above, sitting on the roof of what used to be a house, is a female demon with white hair.

" The boy with yellow hair is trapped with no way out! And my poison has finally finished off that poor Hashira. It's just you...no one's here to save you this time," he whispers into Tanjiro's ear, " so disgraceful...so weak."

He spat the last word, reaching his hand up to his neck and scratching it roughly. The scent of blood is overwhelming me, causing my stomach to feel uncomfortably empty. All of it pooled on the ground, tempting me. However, I'm more concerned about Tanjiro right now.

" The one in that box that you carry is a relative, right?"

I snap my head up and glare at the demon, not that he can tell.

" Is she your older or younger sister?" the Upper Moon asks.

Tanjiro's eyes go wide as his breathing becomes distressed. His arms are trembling with exhaustion and desperation sits far back in his eyes, practically masked by the shock.

" Nezuko...Nezuko is my younger sister," Tanjiro says out of breath.

I nervously dig my fingers into my palm as the demon cackles.

" You really are disgraceful! You didn't protect your little sister at all!" he laughs.

That's not true. I'm sure Tanjiro did, and still is, the best he could. It's not his fault that there were two demons.

" I guess it can't be helped," the demon digs his sickles into the soft earth, " considering your sister is a demon and you aren't...demons are way stronger than humans."

My right eye twitches with anger as the demon takes Tanjiro's hand.

If I were to show that demons that I'm present, it would definitely take attention off of Tanjiro, however, I'm not sure if I could survive fighting two demons on my own.

The demon snaps Tanjiro's fingers with a swift move. Tanjiro's bones crack and he gasps in pain. I stand up abruptly, abandoning the smart decision for myself. I can't stay hidden and watch Tanjiro die. I can't witness someone I consider family to die again. The demon slowly turns his bony head to me, grinning wide. I glare at him, blades at the ready.

" Who are you?" he asks, surprised, " you sure aren't fortunate."

I ignore his remark.

" Well, get out of here! This is our prey, our food. I don't care if you're a demon as well."

I point a blade at him, getting lower to the ground. His eyes widen in shock.

Blood Breathing, Form Two: Cold Blooded.

Moving swiftly to catch him off guard, I allow my weapon to graze his side. Hopefully the parallelization effect will last a few seconds because my priority is to grab Nezuko and Tanjiro.

Letting the blades slide back into my skin, I quickly step my left down hard in the ground and pivot, picking up Tanjiro from under the arm and Nezuko from the collar of her clothing. Taking steps back, I drop them behind me.

" What the hell was that?!" the demon yells angrily, " those are disgraceful beings! That boy is human!"

" They're family," I spit, " and if you wanna kill them, then you'll have to kill me as well."

ARC Hi everyone! I'm back finally! I hope everyone had a good two weeks! Thank you for your patience and support, it means a lot!