Chapter 54

" Aku, give me some of your blood," I recognize the Stone Hashira's voice.

I pause for a minute, staring up at him. I cut open my arm and hold it up to him, causing the blood to drip to the floor. He lets the blood cover the chain of his weapon and I immediately understand what he wants me to do. I nod and he walks forwards, pretending as if our exchange never happened.

When did he get here?

" One appears after the other," the demon remarks.

" Stitch yourself up," the Stone Hashira tells the Wind Pillar.

He spins the chain, causing the spiked ball to attract the wind to him. The Stone Pillar swings and just as the chain reaches the demon, I use my technique.

Blood Breathing, Eight Form: total blood control.

Dark red spikes shoot out of the Hashira's chain, forcing the demon to back up quickly. A slash decorated by crescents deflects the attack, but the Stone Hashira wastes no time in attacking again. He's allowing the demon no time to use his Breathing Technique anymore. It's attack after attack...no wonder why he's the strongest Hashira...

I stand up on shaky legs and take a deep breath. We should attack together.

The chain of the Pillar's weapon wraps around the demon who tries to deflect it with his sword. He then ducks under the chain just as it's about to close around him. He drops to the floor and immediately goes to attack, but I lunge forwards. Darting around the demon's swings, I throw my sword at him as hard as I can, then disolving the blood once it pierces his skin.

I harden it, causing the demon to be weighted to the ground momentarily before he breaks the tough gray surrounding his feet. I get out of the way and form another blade just before the demon lunges forwards to attack.

This has got to be the strongest being I've ever met...

Our swords clash and I force him away before dodging the Stone Hashira's chains. I leap through the openings and land next to him once again.

The demon turns to me and attacks using his Breathing Technique, separating me from my ally. I jump clear of the attack and land, quickly twisting through the second one. The demon has already capitalized on my absence and goes straight for the Hashira.

If I can make swords...I must be able to make other weapons too, right?

In a split second, I form a bow and a singular arrow. Aiming for the demon's sword, I draw the string back and let go after pulling it as tight as possible. A stream of red follows it and the demon recoils in shock at the screeching sound. A loud clank follows and his sword is dropped.

My arm feels numb and I grit my teeth, tearing it off once again. Blood splatters the floor as I drop the limb to the ground, waiting for my arm to regenerate.

" I wanted to save this for when I fought Muzan, but failing here would mean being right back where I started," the Stone Hashira grunts.

Marks that look like cracked earth appear on both of his arms.

" It's such a pity..." the demon whispers.

" A pity?" the Hashira replies.

" I would guess that you're around 27 years old. I grieve the loss."

" What's that supposed to mean?"

" Everyone, with no exception, who bears a mark will die before they turn 25."

I halt in my tracks.

No exception? Tanjiro will die without growing old?

" Even if the birthmark didn't appear, working in the Corps means there's never a guarentee for a tomorrow. Why try and preserve my life force this late in the game? And you lied. There was an exception, someone did live past the age of 25 while marked."

The demon's face turns to anger and the Hashira smiles. The Stone Hashira attacks and I lunge forwards.

Blood Breathing, Seventh Form: Dispersal.

I fade through the Stone Hashira's chains and reform myself in front of the demon, quickly swinging my sword however the demon blocks it and angles his blade differently. I bend backwards and push up, forcing him away from me after realizing that he was going to break through my blade. Chains swing at the two of us again.

Blood Breathing, Second Form: cold blooded.

The demon pauses for a second, but that small amount of time was enough for the Wind Hashira to attack from below. I hadn't noticed that he rejoined the fight, but he managed to scratch the demon's arm. We all attack at once, backing the demon into a corner.

Suddenly, the kimono he's wearing rips and the demon stands ready, a long blade at his side. He looks angry.

" Press the attack, go for the neck!" the Stone Hashira shouts.

" You only managed to tear my Kimono...you couldn't kill an infant with an attack like that."

A series of slashes pierce the air, not giving us time to react. Tiny little cuts spread across my body as the Wind Hashira is thrown past me. Blood leaks to the ground and I take a step backwards. How did he manage to find a gap in our attacks?

An assault of long ranged attacks almost sweeps us off our feet. We're barely able to dodge the demon's Breathing Technique that he uses one after another, never taking a moment to rest.

His sword isn't nichirin, so how is he able to harm me? Could it be his Technique...?

The Wind Hashira rushes past me, twisting in between the slashes. I'm about to follow him, but another attack delays me. I stare in horror to find the Hashira laying on the ground and the demon ready to strike. I sprint forwards, knowing what I must do. There isn't time for me to deflect the attack and even if I did, it could still harm the Pillar. Time seems to so slow as I launch myself in the trajectory of the demon's sword. I turn around so that my back faces the demon and the weapon through me, sticking out like a thorn on a rose bush. My vision blurrs.

Blood Breathing, Eight Form: total blood control.

Slashes of my blood speed towards the demon and he's forced to back off momentarily. I drop to my knees, blood pooling at my feet. I can barely feel the arms that wrap around me and drag me away, causing me to drop my swords. Immense pain shoots through my lungs and I cough up blood.

The Wind Hashira is stronger than me, he should live...besides...he's a human.

" Aku!" I can make out Genya's voice from the fuzziness.

He rips the sword out of my chest and throws it back to the Pillars. The Mist Hashira stares at me, a weird look lingering in his eyes.

The sword was the Wind Pillar's.