Chapter 51

" Oh. You're here already?" I'm greeted by the Mist Hashira.

I nod and look him up and down, trying to figure out what he thinks of me. I didn't meet him for long back at the Swordsmith village. It seems like he isn't bothered by my presence in his home, yet that's probably due to the fact that he's stronger than me.

" I'm surprised you had to go through Uzui's training..."

" Why? Because demons are supposed to have infinite stamina?" I ask.

He nods.

" Well, I don't. I'm not a demon."

" Oh...well... I'll be handling the body coordination part of your training."

The Mist Pillar seems indifferent about the information. Again, it's as if he just doesn't care. He turns around and leads me into the house.

" You start today. And you better work as hard as you possibly can."

" I will."

The Mist Hashira swings the wooden sword at me quickly. I block his attack and the next one after that. I've been here for four days and have been training constantly. I don't get yelled at as much as the other demon slayers here, but he does work me harder. I know I'm fast, but I generally focus on brute strength rather than skill. The Mist Pillar has taught me that those things aren't the only things that are important. My actions need to be coordinated and executed by using as little movements as possible to conserve stamina.

" Your movements are much smoother, but you still look clumsy. You will stay for another day and leave tomorrow night," The Mist Hashira states.

I nod and sit on the ground to watch the other trainees. Speed should be as highly valued as strength. Shinobu had said that as well. I look up to see a man struggling to keep up with the speed that the Mist Hashira is swinging at. He's unbalanced and his legs waver as he attempts to counter the attacks.

" We're done. You need to go back to simply swinging your sword at the air," The Mist Pillar orders.

The man is panting and sweating hard.

" I've been here for so much longer than him, why does he get special treatment!" he shouts, pointing directly at me.

" I'm just better," I shrug.

He stands his ground for a second before hurdling himself at me.

" We shouldn't be forced to work with demons!" he screeches.

I quickly move out of the way and jump up, facing the man.

" If you think that, then fight him. Try to beat Aku in a fight and if you do, I'll kill him," the Mist Hashira suggests.

He hands me his wooden sword and shuffles back to give us the room we need to fight. The man raises his sword, determination set on his face.

I honestly can't wait to crush his hopes. I'm not worried about the Hashira killing me, since there's no way I'll lose to this guy.

The man's face turns to anger as he lunges at me, sword outstretched. He swings and I side-step. He plants his foot and and turns to me, whipping his sword around . I duck under his attack and dodge the next few.

This is quite easy. I almost feel bad because this demon slayer had no chance of winning since the beginning. He should've never challenged me, but I'll act otherwise calm so the others don't see me as an enemy.

Many gasps come from the crowd each time I effortlessly move out of the way of the man's attacks.

" Don't waste time trying to boast Aku. Just end it," I hear the Mist Pillar's voice.

I sigh and the next time the man swings, I move to the side and force my palm so hard into the wood that it snaps in half. A gust of wind follows my attack. The man stumbles and trips, but I catch him by the collar of his clothing before he could fall.

" Your strength is nothing to me, you understand? You're weak and you'll be the first to die," I whisper into his ear, then I drop him to the ground.

Challenging me is like challenging all the people who have helped me along the way. That man was offending everything Tanjiro and the others have taught me and I wasn't just going to let that go. He needed to be humiliated.

" Good job," the Mist Pillar smiles.

I nod and hand his sword back.

" Tomorrow is definitely your last day, then you'll be going to the Love Hashira's home."

I exit the room and make my way outside, relishing the sweet scent of the forest. I lay down on the grass and close my eyes.

I need to be strong. I need to be able to defeat anyone who gets in the way of my goal, even if it's myself. An answer about who I'll be still needs to be found, but that's not what matters right now. One thing I know for sure: I will do anything for Tanjiro and Nezuko to live a normal life.

" I will make a better world for them, even if I'm no longer a part of it," I whisper to myself.

I wake up the next morning and finish up the last bit of training I had to do with the Mist Hashira. He seemed impressed and I was glad to see that. The demon slayer who had challenged me wasn't in training today, so I'm guessing he left the due to the humiliation. That's what he gets for being a complete idiot.

I'm currently following a crow to Mitsuri's residence to begin her training. I've heard that she's in charge of the flexibility portion of the training. I come up to a home and I'm greeted by flying arms.

" Aku!" I recognize Mitsuri's voice, " it's been so long!"

" Mhm, now let go," I try to push her away.

Eventually she lets go and smiles.

" Follow me, I'll give you your clothes for training!"

She leads me into the house and hands me neatly folded clothes. I take them from her, frowning. Putting them up to my body, I slowly look back to her.

" I'm not wearing this," I say in a low tone.

She giggles and covers her mouth with a hand.

" No exceptions!"

I stare at her, essentially saying I'd rather die than wear whatever this thing is. I blink once and the next thing I know, I'm thrown into a room.

" Get changed!"

My face flushes with heat. This clothing looks like something you'd wear to go swimming or something like that. I know that I don't really have a choice if I want to be considered a demon slayer...but there's no way I'm wearing this!

I stand in the room with a few other demon slayers. My face is red with embarrassment as I wrap my arms around my chest. I can't believe I'm actually wearing this ridiculous outfit. My arms and legs are completely exposed, revealing the tattoos that cover my body.

" I'm surprised yours fit Aku! I forgot how tall you were," Mitsuri says in her cheerful voice.

Everyone looks at me and I see that they are as uncomfortable as I am.

" So, we're going to dance to the beat of the music again!" Misturi informs us.

...Um...I can't dance......I think I'd rather have Shinobu kill me.

We spend the next while moving non-stop to the songs she plays. Everyone is clumsy looking and they all have a similar expression as my own on their faces.

" Stretching time!" Mitsuri shouts gleefully.

We all line up and she takes the first person. She uses her strength to pull the woman's leg up above her head. The girl screams in agony and begs Mitsuri to stop, but the Love Hashira pays her no mind.

I purposely went last in line because that way, I'd have no spectators. I knew that it would be another embarrassing thing. When it's my turn, she looks me up and down.

" Are you not flexible already?" she asks.

" No clue, but for the sake of my dignity I sure hope so," I reply.