Chapter 17

I guess I'm just confused. Why do I have this nagging feeling that the blind guy knows me? Logic has already been thrown in the trash by, without testing, accepting me into their homes. Though I am grateful, I'm confused.

" You will be staying in a separate room, away from the others," the purple haired woman declares.

She's walking with her hand on the hilt of her sword. Maybe if I be nice, similar to Tanjiro, I can earn trust. Then it would be rightful for me to be here. Is that considered bad though? Faking being nice?

" What's your name?" I ask, in a soft tone.

She doesn't respond, but instead she glares at me. I look away. I guess she doesn't want to make small talk.

" This is the butterfly mansion, I am Shinobu Kocho the insect hashira. Make no mistake, no matter what you are, I am capable of killing you," she says finally.

" I'm not going to do anything, I have no reason to attack you. If I were out for blood, I would have tried to kill you already. Considering you don't smell as physically strong as the others," I shrug.

She looks at me furiously.

" You've been smelling me?" she says in a calm tone.

" You're right beside me, of course I'm going to be able to smell you," I answer, staring back.

" Well you're wrong am I strong! We can fight if you'd like!" she says, smiling and closing her eyes.

" No thanks. I don't know if wisteria poison can harm me."

I point to her blade. The odor of wisteria is prominent, even with all of these new smells swirling around. The doors open in front of us, revealing three short girls and one taller girl in a demon slayer uniform.

" You're back Lady Shinobu!" the three short girls say in unison.

" Sumi, Kiyo, Naho, Aoi, this is Aku! He'll be staying with us for a while! Please don't be alarmed by his face it'll return normal soon enough!" she says pleasantly.

Where did her hostility go? No... It's still there. She's just hiding it behind that same kind-looking smile.

" Where did you find him?" the one in the uniform asks, crossing her arms.

" At the mountain! He had been poisoned by a demon and it made his face weird!"

I look at her and furrow my eyebrows.

" Wouldn't it be best to be honest? That's what Tanjiro taught me," I say forcefully.

She turns and glares at me. She's telling me no, but I speak anyways.

" I'm not exactly human, but I'm technically not a demon either. I was created by a blood demon art, however I was human when I was born," I explain.

" Oh," Shinobu says, smiling.

I can feel anger radiating off of her. She grabs me by the hand and drags me along into a small shed.

" You never said anything about that! I knew you were lying, you demon scum!" she hisses, still smiling.

" I never said that I wasn't part demon," I answer, " plus, I didn't burn in the sun. I didn't attack a human. I killed my demon father Shinobu, I'm not going to kill any humans to eat them! If anything, demon blood tastes better."

" I don't care about who you've killed or who you didn't kill. You are part demon, therefore you must die."

" I'm an ally, though I haven't proved it. I'd put my life on the line for my friends, surely that means I'm worthy of some trust?"

" Oh you'd put your life on the line? You really would? Let's see about that then!" she laughs and runs off, leaving the door open.

I sprint after her, worried she's actually going to hurt my friends. I follow her scent to the best of my ability without any prior knowledge of the layout of this building. She's purposely taking a longer route to the room she's looking for I think. Hopping off the balcony, I jump over some bushes and jump onto another balcony. Opening the door, Shinobu's scent wafts from the other side of the room. She bursts through the door, sword in hand. She's headed towards a sleeping Zenitsu. I rush over and before she could complete her swing, I get under her sword and harden the skin on my arms. I use them to protect Zenitsu, making her sword hit me.

I was right. She is physically weaker than that man who swung at Nezuko. She looks down at me surprised as Zenitsu wakes up. He screams in shock as he sees me, head laying on his stomach, sword grinding at my arms.

" What is going on!? I'm not into MEN!" he howls, wriggling out from under me and flopping on the floor.

Shinobu then hops over me, but before she could reach Zenitsu, I grab her foot and she lands on the bed, dropping the katana.

" Let go of me," she says, that same smile plastered on her face.

" You done trying to kill Zenitsu?" I ask.

" This proves nothing. Using your arms to block won't kill you demon," she spits the last word.

For all her smiles and pleasant talking, she's really mean.

" If you haven't noticed, I couldn't regenerate the wound I got from the white haired man earlier! I can't heal cuts made by Nichirin blades unless they fully cut a limb off!"

I can't? 

" Aku? What just happened?" Zenitsu asks me, terrified.

" She's testing me for some reason," I answer. 

She twists my hand and jumps of the bed, staring menacingly down at me. She then flips the katana around so the grip is facing me.

When did she pick that back up?

She then prods me in my stomach, hitting the stab wound I got from that weird guy from the mountain.

" So then this isn't healed either," she smiles.

I shake my head and she drives the handle into my flesh. I squint my eyes. Pain is returning, which may or may not be a good thing.

" You'll be immobilized in a few minutes. Get on the farthest bed."

I stare at her in shock.

" My Master said not to kill you, so I won't, no matter how much I want to. So get on the bed, Aoi and the girls will bandage you up. Don't cause trouble," she says, spinning around and leaving.

I let a deep breath out and grip my stomach. I had no idea I was this tense. She clearly dispises me, yet she won't kill me because of that blind man. I stand up, legs a bit shaky and sit down on the farthest bed. Next to me is Inosuke, who isn't making the tiniest sound. I don't think me being here will go well.

And where's Tanjiro?