Chapter 6

A breathing technique? Don't be silly, that's not something I know how to do. Plus what Style would that even be? What happened to that demon and why did I feel that way after killing it though?

I push my thoughts aside for now and stumble through the building, using the wall as a crutch. The drumbeats have faded away and that stench is no longer present. I find a door that leads into the fresh air. The sun is soothing as it beats down into the clearing. My brain still crashes against my skull and every part of my body hurts, however, I'm still alive...for now. My breathing is ragged and it feels like I could pass out at any moment. Why do I feel like this still?

" Stop it!" I hear a scream.

Shielding my eyes from the sun, I spot Zenitsu and a weird boar thing. Zenitsu is kneeling on the ground, protecting Nezuko's box. The creature comes to a halt in front of him, swords drawn. He must be able to tell that there's a demon in there.

" What the hell? We've gotta get rid of that thing!" the boar yells, " now get the hell outta my way!"

" I refuse! This belongs to Tanjiro!"

" Don't argue with me!"

I should step in, but I'd like to observe Zenitsu's reaction.

" I'm from the corps, just like you!"

" Well, then you of all people should know! There's a demon in there!" the creature yells.

" I do know! But Tanjiro and Aku both said that whatever's in this box is important! I can't let you harm it in any way!

The boar stops talking.

" I always knew. Right from the start. You see, I've always had really good hearing. All beings create different sounds and they all have distinct ones as well. Ever since I first met them, I knew there was a demon in this box!"

He knew? Does that mean he knows about me as well?

" Tanjiro said that this box was more important to him than his own life!  Aku said it was precious! That's why I will not let you land a hand on it!"

Why does he care what I think? It's not like I was nice to him, or care about what he thinks. Before I know it, the boar is beating up Zenitsu, but the person who I once thought was a complete coward, is taking the blows to protect the box.

" Why won't you fight back? Now you spineless coward, draw your sword!"

" No!"

Maybe it's time I step in. I take a few steps towards them and try my best to make it look like I'm not in any pain.

" That's enough," I say in a low tone.

The boar turns to me and halts his kick midair.

" Who are you?" He asks.

" I'm with Zenitsu and Tanjiro. And that box belongs to my friend, so I suggest that you step away," I answer.

" Aku! I protected the box," Zenitsu says, smiling.

I grip the handle of the sword tightly, which sends a jolt of pain through my arm.

" Thanks," I mutter.

I still think he's a coward actually, just...less of one. He did a good thing today so perhaps I shouldn't be so overly harsh on him.

" What's going on?" a voice from behind me asks.

" Tanjiro, you told me this box was more important than your life, so I protected it," Zenitsu says tightly.

I raise the sword and point it at the boar, who turns to me.