Chapter 41

I'm sitting outside as the sun begins to set. I was restless last night and today because I'm worried about Tanjiro and the others. I wanted to go with them, not be stuck going on a mission with Rei and Arukawa.

Speaking of Arukawa, I watch him walk onto the property and look around excitedly. I peer at him from the roof, disappointed that he showed up.

He notices me and waves while smiling. I look at him in disgust and turn my head away to show him how I feel.

" Arukawa!" I hear Rei's voice, " it's been so long! How've you been?"

She's way too excited.

" Good! How've you been?" He responds.

" Awesome! Also, have you seen Aku? I have something to give him."

Arukawa shoots me a glance and I hop off of the roof reluctantly.

" Whatever you have I don't want," I spit.

" Are you sure?" She sings.

I nod.

" Okay then," she pouts.

Her fae is extremely exaggerated and I sigh, still not wanting to give in.

I smell Shinobu and then a hand places itself on my shoulder.

" So you guys are to travel to the village west of here. Apparently there was sight of a strong demon or something," she instructs.

I immediately walk away and head west, not wanting the other two to spend time talking. They can catch up as we walk. The setting sun makes my skin glow and the birds sing in the trees. I like the forest, it's comforting.

" Aku! Wait up!" Rei yells.

I hear her footsteps as she rushes to catch up with me. Rolling my eyes, I wait for her.

" You shouldn't act so cold! I'm your friend!"

I scoff.

" Anyways, do you think Akaza's going to show up again?" she asks.

Nodding, I continue walking.

I'll admit, she may not be a friend, but I do care. Just not as much as I care about Tanjiro and Nezuko.

" Promise me something," I begin, staring straight ahead, " if I turn, you need to kill me. I don't want to hurt anyone I care about."

I can feel her staring at me, shocked.

" I'd be gone by then anyways," I try to reassure her, " besides I don't want just anyone to kill me and I don't want to put that pressure on Tanjiro and Nezuko."

" Oh I see. I'm not as important," she spits.

This is the first time I've ever seen her mad.

" I've known them for longer. They were the first to know about my situation. They're my family, of course they're going to come first."

Rei seems upset about this, as if she expected for me to care about her more or equally. I don't understand this. It's common that the person you care about most is the person who accepts you first, right?

" Now, now, there's no reason to fight over this. Family does come first," Arukawa tries to defuse the conversation.

" I know...but they aren't his real family," Rei mutters under her breath.

I snap my gaze towards her and glare.

" My real family is dead," I snap.

She backs off instantly and an apologetic look crosses her face.

" No one has their family in the Corps," I whisper barely audible.

That's the truth. In reality, my family being dead isn't anything special even though it feels as if it is. So many people, including Tanjiro and Nezuko, have lost their families to demons.

" Sorry," I hear Rei mumble.

I can't tell if she actually feels bad or if she just apologized because she was told to, so I choose to ignore her.

We arrive at the village, however it's silent. It's unsettling and it worries me.

" Why is it so quiet?" Rei whispers as we enter the village.

Her hair blows in the wind and lifts off of her face, which she immediately covers with a hand. I caught a glimpse of a scar but decided not to mention anything.

The scent of blood hits the air, overwhelming the rest of my senses. It's so powerful it chokes me, causing me to cough. There must be a lot of blood considering the power of the smell. I shiver and run ahead to the first building. Forcing the door open frantically, my eyes widen at the sight before me. Three kids lay on the ground, eyes wide and lifeless, covered in blood. Their bodies are cut up, intestines hanging out. Panic rises in my throat as I rush to the next house, slamming open the door. A family of five lays on the bloodied wooden floor. They're holding each other.

I feel my nose start to burn as I open each door in the village. Every human is cut up, blood everywhere. It covers the walls, floors, and bodies. By my reaction, Rei and Arukawa didn't bother checking the houses as I ran up and down the streets.

A familiar scent is tangled with the blood and death, but I can't make it out. Anger rises like a lump in my throat as I realize that there are no survivors. Who did this? If it was a demon, it didn't even eat it's victims! How dare it decide to simply kill all of these families?

I walk slowly back to Rei And Arukawa, a blank look on my face. I can't let them see me distressed or angered.

" They're all dead," I say, voice cracking, " not even eaten."

" Was it a demon?" Arukawa asks as Rei drops the the soft earth.

" I'm...not sure. I can't exactly tell because the blood is too overwhelming," I answer.

I know who did this. I one hundred percent know who it was. And this was all technically my fault.

" We should go back. Like right now," I say.

" What, why? We aren't even going to bury them?" Rei asks angrily.

" No. There's no time, we need to leave."

" Why? Why can't we pay respect to the corpses?!" Arukawa shouts, " what do you know?!"

I try to get Rei to understand, but she doesn't look me in the eyes. Instead, she stands up and slowly walks into the first house where the dead children lay. She drags one out gently and lays the body on the road.

" Rei we don't have time!" I yell.

She gives me a startled look.

Just then a thump lands behind me.

" Do you like my present?" a chilling voice asks.

I turn around slowly, dreading what I'll see.

There Akaza stands in the light of the moon, one hand on his hip. He smiles at me as I take a step back.

" You should appreciate it! I came here myself to bring you back with me. You'll finally become a full demon!" he cheers.

" I'll kill myself before you get the chance," I say wearily.

" You sure aren't as strong as Kyojuro, but with my aid, you could become the second strongest in the world!"

" Aku who is this?" Arukawa asks, swinging his sword.

" His name is Akaza and he's the Upper Moon three."