Chapter 19

I leave the room dazed. There's no way...right? I simply can't be the son of an upper moon. The blind one knows, it's obvious. Why couldn't he just tell me? I only want to know who I am, what I should fight for. Right now I'm lost, without purpose. I don't know the names of my family, I don't know my own name. It hurts and I don't want it to, yet the pain won't go away. I know more than I did before, but I'm dreading what I'll find out next. Did I actually kill all of the village people? Was my sister dying really my fault?

" Hey, wait a second," a feminine voice calls from behind.

I turn around to see Shinobu.

" Tomorrow when the sun rises, meet me outside," she spits.

She then knocks into my shoulder and walks by me.

" I can't believe I have to train demon scum," she says under her breath.

I can tell Shinobu wanted me to hear her. I'm not sure why, but I don't want her to hate me. I wish for her to rely on me, to see me as someone who can be trusted. To do that, I have to prove myself, but how? Maybe I should ask Tanjiro for advice. I roam the halls, trying to find the room I was first in.

" It tastes gross though!" I hear that unmistakable whine.

I slide open a door.

" Oh hello Aku! You look kinda different," Zenitsu exclaims.

He waves his sleeves at me.

" They cut my hair," I answer, stepping in the room.

" It looks nice!" Tanjiro smiles, taking a cup from a girl.

" Thank you," I say, bowing my head.

I stand in the door awkwardly as I watch Zenitsu get something forced down his throat.

" Um Tanjiro, can I ask you a question?" I say, motioning for him to follow me.

My ears burn in embarrassment as he nods and follows me out the door. As soon as we're out of earshot I ask my question.

" How do you get someone to not hate you if you don't particularly know why they hate you?"

Tanjiro looks at me knowingly.

" It's about Shinobu, right? I've heard her say some awful things about you..." he trails off.

I nod.

" Right," he says slamming his fist into his palm, " maybe get her a gift? Most girls like flowers."

" A gift?"

" Something you give someone expecting nothing back."

He pauses to think.

" And maybe ask if there's anything you can do to help around here and treat her with respect."

I nod again.

" Maybe do something to look more human too. It is nice to see your face though," he smiles.

I lower my head, grateful.

" Tanjiro! Come back please!" a high pitched voice calls.

" Coming Kiyo!" Tanjiro replies, running back to the room.

To look more human? I mean, I noticed that I still have horns although I don't have my tail. I return to my room and stand in front of a mirror. One of my eyes is still red and black, but I can't change that. Other than the minor details, my face is rather human. I have fangs and a split tongue though. As for my horns...

I wonder if they'll grow back if I rip them out. Well... I guess there's only one way to find out...

I just got my hair cleaned though. I want her to like me, but which is more important? Now that I think about it, why do I want her to like me? She doesn't seem like she'd be a good friend. All she's ever done is be rude to me, but still...