Chapter 11

ARC: This next few chapters are going to be shorter so I can keep pace with fight scenes, not that I'm any good at them :P

" You're right Aku. Why does it smell so strange?" Tanjiro confirms what I smelt.

He starts running off up the mountain in concern.

" Wait, Tanjiro!" Zenitsu calls.

I follow him and shortly Inosuke follows us, leaving Zenitsu crying on the ground.

" Wait guys! Don't leave me here all alone! Who knows what could happen?!"

I can hear his footsteps as Zenitsu starts running towards us. His crying doesn't waver as we make our way up the steep hill. As we reach the top, at the treeline I can see a man lying on the ground unconscious. The scent of blood washes over me. We rush over and Tanjiro kneels down beside the man. He's as compassionate and caring as ever. One day, it will get him killed. The man opens his eyes and tears form.

" Help me please!" he cries.

" His uniform... he's a demon slayer as well!" Tanjiro remarks.

Thanks Tanjiro, we couldn't see it ourselves. You are so helpful.

" Are you alright? What happened?" he asks.

The man doesn't respond at first, but as words form in his mouth, he's suddenly yanked out of Tanjiro's grasp. He flies through the air, terror plastered on his face and tears streaming down his cheeks. He's pulled into the trees all while still in the air, screaming.

" They were attached to me too!" he cries, " please save me!"

His voice fades as he disappears into the leaves. We all stand shocked. That man was just...floating? Zenitsu whimpers, holding his hands over his mouth. The wind brushes the grass and then it goes quiet again.

" I'm going," Tanjiro whispers, forming a fist with his hand.

He turns to us, sweat forming in beads on his face.

" I'll go in first," Inosuke says confidently, shouldering Tanjiro out of the way.

" Inosuke..." Tanjiro trails off.

If you ask me, Inosuke is just trying to show off. He's striving to seem stronger, no matter how feeble his attempt may be. He laughs.

" Let's go!" he screams as he heads into the trees.

" Wouldn't be best if we didn't make so much noise?" I call out after him.

" We let our enemy know who their death will be from Aku!" he cheers.

Tanjiro runs after him and I'm left behind with Zenitsu. He shivers on the ground, muttering to himself. I roll my eyes.

" Come on scaredy-cat! We need to catch up!" I say, exasperated.

" I c-can't! Just go on without me!"

What an absolute coward.

" Fine," I shrug and run into the trees.

" W-wait! Aku! Come back!" I can hear Zenitsu yelling.

I'm not going to hang around in a safe zone while Tanjiro risks his life! 

Minutes pass as I wonder aimlessly through the woods. I'm not able to pick up one scent in particular, nor am I able to hone in onto one singular sound. The forest is so full with this acrid scent, it's making me choke. I can't pinpoint anything, I can't even pick up a human scent! I'm starting to regret not waiting for Zenitsu. He had a sword, a weapon capable of killing a demon. I have nothing but my fists. There aren't any corpses with katanas lying around either. If I were to be met with a demon, my only option would be to run. Maybe I should turn back, find Zenitsu. He probably is still whimpering on the ground. 

I'm about to turn back as I'm hit with something cold and hard in my ribs. I hear a crack as I'm shot through the air, snapping twigs and branches as I fly. I hit the ground hard and I roll a few times. Pain ricochets through my body as I cough. I barely stop rolling as a shadow launches itself at me. I dodge the fist and leap up, raising my own hands to my head. The scent of a demon is strong, so that must be what I'm facing. Unfortunately for me, I can already tell that this creature is much faster on his feet then I am. Running, my only means of survival, is no option. Wind gushes the top of my head as I duck another punch. I'm just barely able to dodge these swings with no time to think of a plan. The pressure of the wind nicks my face and blood dribbles out.

I take several steps backwards, doing my best to dodge the blows. I'm in the air as the demon winds up for a punch and my eyes widen. As quickly as I can I bring my arms up to my chest. My teeth rattle as I get knocked back again. I land on my back this time, sliding on the ground. I swing my legs above my head and sort of to a somersault to stop my momentum. I stay low to the ground, legs spread out and one hand on the ground.

" You aren't even a demon slayer!" the creature shouts as it charges towards me.

I'm able to see the demon fully now, it's purplish skin glinting in the moonlight. It has the body of a human being, but the horrifying eyes and mouth of a spider. It's scary looking.

It swings it's heavy fist downwards. The demon got to me faster than I thought it would've. I propel myself up after bringing my right leg next to my left, crouching on the ground. Wind blasts by my face as the demon's fist hits the ground. The soft earth splits at the force. My face runs beside the purple arm as I bring my right fist up into the demon's face. I strike it in it's eyes, a strong wind following my punch as well. This sends the demon recoiling as I flip over it's head. I start to sprint into the trees, hoping I can find any member of the demon slayer corps.