Chapter 32

A few more days have passed since Shinobu had begun making the poison. Tanjiro had woken up, which is good. He hasn't spoken to me though I've tried to start a few conversations. This worries me, it makes me think that he no longer wants to be my friend.

Inosuke was the same as he was though, the exact same oddly enough. He kept following me around, telling me to fight him. He was saying stuff like he did before, that he'd be considered extra strong if he beat me in a fight. I don't understand his mentality, but I appreciate that he is no different.

I hung out with Nezuko a couple of times, the first one being to tell her what we found out about me. She seemed indifferent, sort of like Zenitsu.

I walk outside to find Tanjiro waiting at the exit of the butterfly mansion. I stop in my tracks as he has a hardened look on his face. He's carrying Nezuko as well. Beckoning me over, his face remains the same.

" Aku, I'm going to visit Rengoku's family, come with me," he orders.

" I have to do my training though," I say.

" We can run there, that'll help your cardio, right?"

I look up into the sky, the sun rests in the middle. Half of the day was used up for breathing techniques as well as swordsmanship lessons with Shinobu. Right now, I'm supposed to go running, so I guess this kind of works.

" I guess."

" Then lets go," he says, turning around.

His voice is a little cold and he isn't speaking to me the same as he used to. However, there must be a reason he wants me to go with him.

I follow him out of the property and we run along the path, heading south I believe.

" How many humans have you killed?" he asks suddenly.

I turn my eyes to the ground and take a second before responding.

" I don't know," I answer sadly.

" How do you not know?"

" I don't remember everything still..."

I speak quietly and softly. I think I was right, he doesn't want to be my friend anymore.

" Aku...I..." he struggles.

I narrow my eyes and keep pace with him without speaking.

" I'm just worried. I'm worried that it'll happen again, though you probably didn't have much of a choice that time. I don't want to have to kill you or watch you get killed...you're my family."

" Wait...what?" I ask, confused.

I thought he wanted me dead! I though he hated me, but he's saying he's worried for me?

" You aren't upset?"

" Of course I'm upset, you killed innocent people, but it wasn't one hundred percent your fault. I just hope you don't do it again, regardless of the situation," he sighs.

So he is upset and angry, just...he just doesn't hate me...?

" I won't, I'd rather die."

" Even if my life or Nezuko's is on the line?" he asks.

I pause, knowing what the answer will be. Of course I would sacrifice anyone for him and Nezuko.

" I...don't know..." I lie.

" Then I'll decide for you. Don't. Don't kill innocent humans, okay? You aren't even allowed to hurt them anymore," he stops in his tracks to stare at me.