Chapter 25

" Hey! Demon lady! I'm actually pretty strong too!" Rei whines, standing back up.

I remain silent, trying to adjust to the darkness of the cave. This isn't the time for Rei to act like this.

" We'll have to see!" the demon responds.

Wind brushes past my face as those words were spoken. Something solid hits my side, sending me reeling. The air was knocked out of me and I try to slow my breathing to focus.

" Don't move unless you have to Rei," I grunt, gripping my side.

If that demon wanted to, when she hit me back then she totally could have killed me...so why didn't she? What caused her to not kill me?

" Blood demon art: condensed abyss!"

I spin around as the cave shifts and darkens, confusing my sight and hearing.

" Aku!" I hear Rei's voice fade away.

I knew this cave gave off an eerie feeling for a reason! I rush to where I heard her voice come from, but when I get to the location, Rei isn't there. Purple flashes out of the corner of my left eye and I barely have time to jump back to dodge it. I notice a small glow, coming from an eye level. Just then, a sonic boom erupts from in front of me. I immediately cover my ears and drop to the ground. Even with the moss earplugs, this sound is completely unbearable.

Launching herself towards me, the demon opens it's jaws wide. Reminds me of something...I can barely make out another glow, coming from the demon's tongue. Do demon's need a tongue to speak or make noise? Hardening my skin, I shove my hand down the demon's throat and spin to the left to avoid a bat-like wing. She squeals as I stand up and kick her in the back with my left leg, making her fall forwards. I keep my fist level and wrapped around her tongue as she falls to the ground, forcing her momentum to be the cause of me ripping out her tongue. Blood sprays the ground and the demon's breathing changes in a shocked manner. It screeches again and I drop the slimy thing on the ground. My head starts to pound in my head, but I noticed something.

Harming the demon, caused the darkness to lighten. Apparently, enough so that even Rei could see a little.

" Sakura breathing: form 2, first blossom!"

A bright flash pierces the scene and the demon howls. A loud clank follows the screech. The beating of wings overhead is a sign that either the demon is attacking, or retreating. From the scent of pure anger I'm getting, it's going to attack Rei. I wrap my head around her arm and drag her towards me just as a slam is cause by the demon striking the floor.

" I thought you had a strong breathing technique!" she gasps as I stop backing up.

" I told you, it doesn't work well when someone else is near," I answer, letting go of her arm.

" Then I'll back up, use a shorter range attack," she states.

" I have to be bleeding and it can't be caused by myself or a nichirin blade."

Not giving her time to respond, the demon attacks again with it's razor sharp wings, but this time it's much faster than it should've been. Pushing Rei out of the way, I let the demon's talons piece my skin. Unexpectedly, the wing cuts straight through the top of my arm, causing blood to gush out. Halting the regeneration and looking at Rei makes her understand. She backs up as I form my blades. The demon seems to know something's up so she tries to make a break for it. I widen my eyes in delight as I leap into the air, sucking as much oxygen in as I can. Grinning, I decide on what form I should use.

" Breath of blood: form four, last breath," I whisper.

Blood twirls around the detached blade as I use my momentum to make a lunging downwards slash. This brings me down onto the demon rather quickly as the swirling blood hardens into dozens of small, sharp triangles. They pierce skin, blood shattering and spraying onto the surroundings.

The accuracy of these triangles aren't the best, but their purpose is to pin the demon in place for the final slash of the form, one that is only made after the demon draws it's "last breath."

" Sakura breathing: form one, rosy star!" I hear Rei's voice.

Multiple clinks follow her words as I bring my hand down on the demon's neck, feet on her back. She screams as my force slams her to the ground and my blade cuts through the tough skin. The head rolls off and I stand up in satisfaction. Rei grunts in pain and the scent of fresh human blood becomes noticeable. The black fog fades away as I pick up the head, which blood flows out of. The scent is tempting.

Drink it. The blood will make you stronger Aku...

I'm hungry and the influence of my other half is heavy.

You'll be able to protect Tanjiro and Nezuko. Drink it.

Obeying his orders, I raise the head above my own and tilt my face upwards. Opening my mouth wide the demon's blood rolls into my mouth. It has a sweet taste with a sharp pang of human blood. I breath outwards in satisfaction after I swallow, dropping the head onto the cold stone. I lick my lips as something clicks inside of me. That was...good...

" A-Aku?" Rei asks, worried.

I turn my head towards her slowly.

" What's wrong with your eyes?"

I approach her and stare at her arm. One of the shards is stuck in it, so I gently pull it out and drop it on the ground. It's at this moment where the prominent scent of fear flows down my throat. I stare down at her wondering if she is afraid of me.

" Why did you do that?" she asks, voice wavering.

My face falls into shock as she rips her arm out of my hands and backs away.

" I am a lower moon! Regardless of being the weakest I am still Hinakoumori, lower moon six! Some lowly demon slayers couldn't kill me! I have to kill him! I ha-"

The cries are cut off as the demon's head vanishes. I realize that my ears are flattened against the side of my head and my whole body is tense. I turn to face Rei again.

" I was hungry," I answer simply.

I'm trying to ignore the sudden power surge that's making it's way to my heart.

" I am part demon, so... I need blood..."

" That was a child Aku!"

" You don't know how old she was. She could have been that age for dozens of years Rei."

" You're a cannibal!"

" A demon cannibal. Is that so bad? Demons devour humans all the time! I'm just giving them a taste of their own medicine."

These aren't my words. I cover my mouth out of fear that I'll say something else. Rei doesn't respond, but I can tell she's angry and fearful.

" I'm...sorry. Those weren't one hundred percent my actions..."

She looks up at me and proceeds to push her katana into it's sheath, storming out of the cave.

I follow her after a minute and as I exit the cave I see her waiting for me, hands on her hips. I approach her slowly and she continues to stare at me. She's looking me directly in the eyes, which makes my slightly uncomfortable.

" Your eyes were not the same. I didn't know if you were going to turn. My parents eyes changed when they were about to become demons... I was afraid the same thing was going to happen to you too."

My eyes weren't the same? What does she mean?

" Clearly you didn't since you're standing in the sun though," she laughs.

I can tell Rei is still a little uneasy, but it's better than her being afraid.

" Head south-west! Head south-west to the village named Hoshi! Rest there then head further west!" a bird calls from overhead.

Rei and I share a look and then make our way in the direction that the bird had said. I'm glad she isn't afraid of me, but that doesn't make us friends. Nor do I have to speak to her unless I have to.

Also, why was that demon so weak? It had a pretty effective blood art, yet it was very physically weak. Are all of the lower moons like that? Or was she weak because maybe she didn't quite belong there yet, considering Muzan just rebuilt the lower moons? If Muzan can just make more demons like the twelve kizuki over and over, why was I given this mission? What is Kagaya up to...?