Chapter 9

I spend the night in the forest, the tightness around my lungs never subsiding. The panicked feeling doesn't go away either. The voice in my head said that dream wasn't actually a dream, but a memory. That my sister was murdered because she gave me food and took care of me. That it's my fault that she's dead. I'm not sure what to believe. I still don't remember much, like if she actually was my sister, but it sure as hell feels like she was. My brain is a complete mess. What I do know is that seeing that girl die made me feel dejected. It made me feel useless, unable to protect those who I care for.

My face is still wet with tears and I quickly wipe my eyes with my hands. Watching her die and hearing what the man said, made a lump in my stomach form. So many emotions were hurled at me at once. It overwhelmed me to the point where I would've rather had my skull smashed in. 

It feels like my heart has been torn out of my chest and crushed in the hands of a dark shadow. I don't even remember her name or if she even was my sister, but I would die for her. I should have died for her. 

I steady my shaking hands as I make my way back to the house. I did as I had planned and stayed awake, training my vision. I was desperately trying to distract myself at that point. Dread forms like a pit in my stomach. How do I explain this to my friends? I can't let them see me weak or unfit to protect them. So, I'll just pretend that nothing happened. I'll just say that I went for a walk because I couldn't sleep. 

I want to crumple into a ball again and cry. That man. Who in the hell was that man? I need to find him or that village. There'll be answers to everything there, I know it. The question is do I leave my friends to go find those answers I so desperately want? There are ups and downs to both...but what if they die? What if they need my help and I'm not there? I don't want more blood from people I care about on my hands.

I find Tanjiro waiting for me back at the entrance of the house.

" Aku! Where were you? I was worried!" he exclaims, running over when he sees me.

" Just went for a walk," I respond, voice a little shakier than I'd want.

" Well, you should come back inside," he says turning around, " and please don't run off without telling me."

I follow him back into the room they slept in and see Zenitsu chasing Nezuko in circles.

" Nezuko-chan!" he says, eyes closed and a dumb smile on his face.

He wiggles from side to side, pointer fingers touching. Nezuko stands across the room from him, face blank. Zenitsu giggles and approaches her quickly, without warning. Nezuko backs away in shock and then runs away.

" Where are you going Nezuko-chan~" Zenitsu calls, chasing her around.

They run back and forth.

" Wait for me!" he says in a softly irritating tone.

Nezuko stops running and as Zenitsu is approaching, Tanjiro steps in, hands in the air and a pouty mouth plastered on his face. He's blocking Zenitsu from his younger sister.

" Stop it Zenitsu!" Tanjiro says in a slightly whiny voice.

The yellow-haired boy stares in confusion, head tilted to the side. Then he smiles weirdly, closes his eyes.

" Tan-ji-ro," he says giving a tender smile.

He leans forward and takes Tanjiro's hands. He still has that stupid smile on his face. Tanjiro looks horrified and rips his hands out of Zenitsu's.  A look of pure disgust is stuck on his face as he screams.

" Lets be friends Tanjiro!" Zenitsu says pleasantly.

He starts chasing the siblings around in a cercle. I watch in amusmant as Tanjiro begs for Zenitsu to stop.