Chapter 10

We're in the room we sleep in when the crow flies in. It lands on the ground and jumps into Tanjiro's hands. It looks up at him before howling.

" North-Northeast! Your next mission is Northeast! The three of you are to go to Mount Natagumo! Head there now!" it explains.

I squint my eyes. My ears have gotten even more sensitive since I've been sitting in the forest at night, making sure to get better hearing. Zenitsu and Inosuke share an exasperated look as Tanjiro stares down in awe at the black bird in his hands.

" You coming Aku?" he asks me, gaze never leaving the bird.

" Of course," I answer determinedly.

That was the plan Tanjiro's teacher had layed out. For me to accompany him on his missions to see if it would spark any memories.

" I do not advise bringing a civilian! I repeat, do not bring the civilian!" the crow says.

I stand up.

" Not a civilian, crow. Plus you can't do anything if I go," I reply.

The crow tilts its head sideways to stare at me. It's clearly not content that I will be joining the demon slayers on this mission, but I don't care. I'll go wherever Tanjiro and Nezuko do. I wait outside while the three get dressed and equipped for battle. Once everyone's ready, they meet me at the front of the walls. The old lady accompanies them.

" We're heading out now," Tanjiro exclaims, turning around to face her.

" With the civilian?" she asks feebly.

" I'm not a civilian," I say annoyed.

I guess I do look human and not to mention I'm not wearing the uniform that the demon slayers wear. Nor am I carrying any sort of weapon. However, it bothers me that anyone but Tanjiro sees me as a normal human being. I don't know why, but I don't like it when people perceive me as weak. Is that normal?

" Alright then, I'll bless you with good luck," she concurs.

Tanjiro turns back around and I do the same as him, however Inosuke doesn't. There's a clanking sound and the smell of sparks rises into the morning air.

" What the hell are you doing?!" Inosuke shouts, holding a hand above his head.

He's going to punch the old lady. I watch in amusement as Zenitsu jumps in front of the lady and Tanjiro grabs Inosuke by the waist.

" What do you think you're doing?" Zenitsu screams, arms out to the side.

" What did you say?!" Inosuke yells, steam bellowing out of his nose.

" She's striking sparks for good luck, you idiot! It's a purification ritual!" Zenitsu responds.

So that's why the smell of sparks were so prominent.

" I'm surprised you know that word," I say.

" What?! How dare you! My vocabulary is as refined as yours!"

" That's not much of an accomplishment considering that Japanese isn't my first language."

Wait, it isn't?

Zenitsu stops, a dumb look on his face and a finger in the air, pointing to the sky.

" Guys stop it!" Tanjiro begs.

I roll my eyes and quiet down. Inosuke stops his wriggling and Zenitsu returns to Tanjiro's side.

" Live your lives with great pride. I wish you luck in your next battle," the lady bows.