Chapter 49

The demon I'm facing starts sprinting away in the direction Genya left. I chase after him as soon as I realize what's about to happen.

" Genya!" I yell, " they're coming after you!"

I get no response, but I keep after the demon.

I break through a line of trees and watch in horror as another demon now faces Genya and Tanjiro. Giant dragons made out of wood erupt from the new demon. He attacks in the same manor as the previous four did, yet stronger. The moment he sees me the demon shoots a wind attack and I barely dodge it. He aims at Tanjiro next and I leap into the air, grabbing my friend and bringing him to a safe spot. I put him down, turning back to the demon.

" What the hell happened?" I shout.

" They combined! The four demons from earlier...they're one now!" he responds.

Multiple dragons charge at us and we split up. I feel a sharp tug on my waist and realize in horror that one of the heads is latched on to me. It wraps around my body, squeezing me so tight that I can barely breathe. Tanjiro's in the same situation. I bite into the dragon, trying to free at least an arm when I catch a familiar scent in the air.

Mitsuri lands on the ground with Tanjiro.

I get enough grip on my sword. I can't use the seventh form in my Technique for some reason, it's like my body is too tired.

Blood Breathing, Third Form: Crimson Tide.

I land on the soft earth and immediately back up after getting away from the dragon. I cough up blood and clutch my ribs, quickly healing all of my wounds. It takes me a few seconds before I can stand again. If it weren't for Mitsuri's distraction, I think I would've been crushed.

" Hey!" she shouts, " your pranks have gone too far! I'm gonna' take those two back now!"

" Shut your mouth harlot, I only answer to one person in this world," the sixth demon scowls.

He speaks as if he's above everyone, as if he is our king.

An attack rushes towards Mitsuri, but she brushes it off with an attack of her own.

" Now I'm mad. That was unforgivable!" she yells, " Aku, make sure to protect the others!"

" Sure thing!" I answer, collecting the three and putting them in one place.

I watch in amazement as Mitsuri counters every attack the demon sends her way by either dodging it, or using a form of her Breathing Technique. I knew she was strong, but I didn't know she was super fast as well. Not to mention her extreme flexibility. An attack with wide range is next and for a moment, Mitsuri hesitates.

" You've got this!" Tanjiro cheers.

She uses her Breathing Technique and goes in close for an attack of her own.

" Wait! Kanroji! That's not the real body, he won't die if you cut his head off!" Tanjiro suddenly shouts.

So this isn't the fifth demon? I thought he just grew, I never got a good look at him in the first place...

The demon takes a deep breath and unleashes a screech so loud, it's sound waves are visible. Mitsuri lands on the ground, but we can't see her face. The demon raises a fist and I rush forward to get in front of Mitsuri. Placing both hands on the demon's fist, I plunge it into the ground with as much force as I can. The earth breaks and flies into the air.

If I got hit with an attack of the same density that Mitsuri got hit with, I'd probably lose my head...and my body...

" Protect Kanjori! She's our ray of hope!"