Chapter 8

That's right, I told him I wasn't human. Tanjiro sits upright.

" You were complaining about the smell of wisteria, which only demons can't stand," Zenitsu explains.

" I'm not a demon," I say firmly.

Inosuke sits up.

" Then what are you?" He asks.

I knew I couldn't avoid this question forever with them. However, it is my fault that it came this early. I should have never told Zenitsu and to be honest, I wasn't exactly thinking properly. It's like I wanted them to know that I'm not human, but now...

" I... I don't know..." I trail off.

Zenitsu furrows his eyebrows.

" What do you mean you don't know what you are?" he says shocked.

I look at Tanjiro and he just smiles at me while nodding. I don't want to tell them right now, but I think I might have to.

" I don't remember anything from my past. I didn't even know my name," I say, twirling my thumbs.

Zenitsu's eyes widen.

" I'm traveling with Tanjiro to see if I can find out who or what I am," I explain quietly.

" But you're definitely not human?" he asks.

" Well... I think I might have some human DNA since I have human attributes."

Inosuke smiles wide.

" So if I beat you, that means I'm super strong!" he shouts.

I swallow hard.

" Fight me right now and I will prove that I'm superior to something not human nor demon!"

He doesn't care? I could be dangerous or evil, but all he cares about is beating me in a fight to prove his superiority?

" Inosuke! Is that all you care about?! This is awesome! Scary, but awesome " Zenitsu says, standing up

He shakes his fists. He thinks it's awesome?

" I could be bad," I say, " for all you know I could be trying to kill you."

At this, he stops his cheering.

" But you wouldn't," Tanjiro says calmly.

" You don't know that. Hell, I don't even know that," I answer.

" Whatever, just fight me!" Inosuke laughs maliciously.

" Of course, we'll be wary, and I for one am kinda scared of you. But that won't change that as of right now, you're our friend," Zenitsu says.

There's that word again...friend...

What does it mean exactly? Why do they not hate me, or want to kill me? Isn't that what's supposed to happen when someone finds out I'm different?

" Second question, since no one else is gonna ask, Tanjiro why are you traveling with a demon?" Zenitsu asks quietly, turned away from Tanjiro.

" Zenitsu, you knew and still protected the box? You really are a great guy, thank you," Tanjiro smiles.

Zenitsu blushes and screams a short scream. He grabs his pillow and rolls around on his bed.

" Oh, there's no need to flatter me!" He giggles.

" I knew since we first met that you were strong," Tanjiro says, pointing to his nose.

" No, I'm not strong," Zenitsu responds with a blank face.